• Author
    @emmaconnor

What are the top Software Testing books you would recommend, in what order and why?

@huibschoots

My favorite testing books? Last year I did a poll and asked many (context-driven) testers what their most popular books are. The list can be found on my blog: popular books for testers.

What you should be reading depends on what you are ready to learn about next, and that varies from person to person.

My personal list is:
    Lessons Learned in Software Testing – Cem Kaner, James Bach, Brett Petticord
    Perfect Software and other Illusions about Software Testing – Gerald M. Weinberg
    The Little Black Book on Test Design – Rikard Edgren
    How to Break Software – James A. Whittaker
    Explore It! – Elisabeth Hendrickson
    A Practitioner’s Guide to Software Test Design – Lee Copeland
    Testing Computer Software – Cem Kaner, Jack Falk, Hung Q. Nguyen
    Beautiful Testing – Tim Riley & Adam Goucher
    How to reduce the cost of software testing – Matthew Heusser and Govind Kulkarni
    Domain Testing Workbook – Cem Kaner, Sowmya Padmanabhan, Doug Hoffman
    Foundations of Software Testing: A BBST Workbook –> still to be read, course is awesome. Book must be good 😀

“Non-testing” books a tester everybody in IT should read:
    Thinking fast and slow – Daniel Kahneman
    Tacit and Explicit Knowledge – Harry Collins
    The Black Swan – Nassim Nicholas Taleb
    An introduction to general systems thinking – Gerald M Weinberg
    Quality Software Management Vol. 1-4 – Gerald M. Weinberg
    Secrets of Consulting – Gerald M. Weinberg
    The Leprechauns of Software Engineering – Laurent Bossavit

Ard
    @ard-kramer

In addition to Huib (In Holland we say, he mowed the lawn before my feet away) I just read (again) the tester’s pocketbook” of Paul Gerrard. This little book also starts you think: how can I of how am I doing my job as tester. This perpective is always a good starting point for learning and retrospective on what you are doing.

@ronan

Has anyone read anything that they would add to this list from 2014?

I see the most popular software testing book on Amazon for 2014 was Peter Kim’s The Hacker Guide: Practical Guide to Penetration Testing

A few books about BDD were popular as well , this one by John Smart in particular.

@ronan

I thought this was a nice resource.

A list of freely available software testing books.

Here is the list.

@andrei-domuta

I am currently reading Gerald M. Weinberg’s ‘Perfect Software: And Other Illusions about Testing’
    The book is fabulous. It’s definitely empowering software testers to promote their work

@ronan

I am currently reading Gerald M. Weinberg’s ‘Perfect Software: And Other Illusions about Testing’
    The book is fabulous. It’s definitely empowering software testers to promote their work

That’s always been mentioned by people when I ask about testing books they recommend.

@sysmod

I have these old books on my shelf. I can post them to anyone in Ireland if they pay the postage (c. 8 euro each) (or hand them over at the next SoftTest event on Aug 18 featuring Mark Fewster )

Black-Box Testing, Boris Beizer, 1995
    Software Testing and Continuous Quality Improvement, Lewis, 2000
    Lessons Learned in Software Testing, Kaner+Bach+Pettichord, 2001
    Software testing, a guide to the TMap Approach, Pol+Teunissen+Veenendaal, 2002

@gabyeke

The first book i’ve read about software testing is: Lessons Learned in Software Testing (Cem Kaner, James Bach, Brett Petticord). My passion about testing originates since then! 🙂

@ronan

I have these old books on my shelf. I can post them to anyone in Ireland if they pay the postage (c. 8 euro each) (or hand them over at the next SoftTest event on Aug 18 featuring Mark Fewster )

Black-Box Testing, Boris Beizer, 1995
    Software Testing and Continuous Quality Improvement, Lewis, 2000
    Lessons Learned in Software Testing, Kaner+Bach+Pettichord, 2001
    Software testing, a guide to the TMap Approach, Pol+Teunissen+Veenendaal, 2002

That’s a very generous offer Patrick. We might take you up on your offer for the Book Club that will be happening at the EuroSTAR Conference this year.

@eviltester

My absolute favourite book has not been mentioned.

“Software Testing Techniques” by Boris Beizer

I studied this book.

It took me a few months but I went through this several times. I worked through every exercise.

I raised a defect with Mister Beizer and he pointed out I was wrong, I had not spotted a flaw in the exercise.

I learned tonnes with this book.

I have read it several times.

I own two copies.

Alan

@archana

Lessons Learned in Software Testing is one of my favorites too

@augusto-evangelisti

I would suggest the 2 Crispin, Gregory books if you are interested in agile testing

Agile testing

More Agile Testing

Jan
    @testsson

I can definitely recommend the series “50 quick ideas…“, books you can return to again and again.

• 50 quick ideas to improve your user stories” by Gojko Adzic and David Evans
    • 50 quick ideas to improve your tests” by Gojko Adzic and David Evans
    • 50 quick ideas to improve your retrospectives” by Tom Roden and Ben Williams

How Google Tests Software” by James Whittaker, Jason, Arbon and Jeff Carallo – Direct and informative

Continuous Delivery” by Jez Humble and David Farley. Gives good insight when moving towards Test Ops.

@archana

The Art of Software Testing – by Glenford Myers is a book that I have started reading recently and I seems to be pretty good

@yevheniia-jane

I like this blog.
    https://geteasyqa.com/blog/
    They do not have few articles, but they are really useful.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.