Your Favourite Software Testing Books

Home Forums Software Testing Discussions Your Favourite Software Testing Books

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Emma
    Participant
    @emmaconnor

What are the top Software Testing books you would recommend, in what order and why?

Huib
    Participant
    @huibschoots

My favorite testing books? Last year I did a poll and asked many (context-driven) testers what their most popular books are. The list can be found on my blog: popular books for testers.

What you should be reading depends on what you are ready to learn about next, and that varies from person to person.

My personal list is:
    Lessons Learned in Software Testing – Cem Kaner, James Bach, Brett Petticord
    Perfect Software and other Illusions about Software Testing – Gerald M. Weinberg
    The Little Black Book on Test Design – Rikard Edgren
    How to Break Software – James A. Whittaker
    Explore It! – Elisabeth Hendrickson
    A Practitioner’s Guide to Software Test Design – Lee Copeland
    Testing Computer Software – Cem Kaner, Jack Falk, Hung Q. Nguyen
    Beautiful Testing – Tim Riley & Adam Goucher
    How to reduce the cost of software testing – Matthew Heusser and Govind Kulkarni
    Domain Testing Workbook – Cem Kaner, Sowmya Padmanabhan, Doug Hoffman
    Foundations of Software Testing: A BBST Workbook –> still to be read, course is awesome. Book must be good 😀

“Non-testing” books a tester everybody in IT should read:
    Thinking fast and slow – Daniel Kahneman
    Tacit and Explicit Knowledge – Harry Collins
    The Black Swan – Nassim Nicholas Taleb
    An introduction to general systems thinking – Gerald M Weinberg
    Quality Software Management Vol. 1-4 – Gerald M. Weinberg
    Secrets of Consulting – Gerald M. Weinberg
    The Leprechauns of Software Engineering – Laurent Bossavit

Ard
    Participant
    @ard-kramer

In addition to Huib (In Holland we say, he mowed the lawn before my feet away) I just read (again) the tester’s pocketbook” of Paul Gerrard. This little book also starts you think: how can I of how am I doing my job as tester. This perpective is always a good starting point for learning and retrospective on what you are doing.

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

Has anyone read anything that they would add to this list from 2014?

I see the most popular software testing book on Amazon for 2014 was Peter Kim’s The Hacker Guide: Practical Guide to Penetration Testing

A few books about BDD were popular as well , this one by John Smart in particular.

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

I thought this was a nice resource.

A list of freely available software testing books.

Here is the list.

Andrei Domuta
    Participant
    @andrei-domuta

I am currently reading Gerald M. Weinberg’s ‘Perfect Software: And Other Illusions about Testing’
    The book is fabulous. It’s definitely empowering software testers to promote their work

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

I am currently reading Gerald M. Weinberg’s ‘Perfect Software: And Other Illusions about Testing’
    The book is fabulous. It’s definitely empowering software testers to promote their work

That’s always been mentioned by people when I ask about testing books they recommend.

Patrick
    Participant
    @sysmod

I have these old books on my shelf. I can post them to anyone in Ireland if they pay the postage (c. 8 euro each) (or hand them over at the next SoftTest event on Aug 18 featuring Mark Fewster )

Black-Box Testing, Boris Beizer, 1995
    Software Testing and Continuous Quality Improvement, Lewis, 2000
    Lessons Learned in Software Testing, Kaner+Bach+Pettichord, 2001
    Software testing, a guide to the TMap Approach, Pol+Teunissen+Veenendaal, 2002

Gabriela
    Participant
    @gabyeke

The first book i’ve read about software testing is: Lessons Learned in Software Testing (Cem Kaner, James Bach, Brett Petticord). My passion about testing originates since then! 🙂

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

I have these old books on my shelf. I can post them to anyone in Ireland if they pay the postage (c. 8 euro each) (or hand them over at the next SoftTest event on Aug 18 featuring Mark Fewster )

Black-Box Testing, Boris Beizer, 1995
    Software Testing and Continuous Quality Improvement, Lewis, 2000
    Lessons Learned in Software Testing, Kaner+Bach+Pettichord, 2001
    Software testing, a guide to the TMap Approach, Pol+Teunissen+Veenendaal, 2002

That’s a very generous offer Patrick. We might take you up on your offer for the Book Club that will be happening at the EuroSTAR Conference this year.

alan
    Participant
    @eviltester

My absolute favourite book has not been mentioned.

“Software Testing Techniques” by Boris Beizer

I studied this book.

It took me a few months but I went through this several times. I worked through every exercise.

I raised a defect with Mister Beizer and he pointed out I was wrong, I had not spotted a flaw in the exercise.

I learned tonnes with this book.

I have read it several times.

I own two copies.

Alan

Archana
    Participant
    @archana

Lessons Learned in Software Testing is one of my favorites too

Augusto
    Participant
    @augusto-evangelisti

I would suggest the 2 Crispin, Gregory books if you are interested in agile testing

Agile testing

More Agile Testing

Jan
    Participant
    @testsson

I can definitely recommend the series “50 quick ideas…“, books you can return to again and again.

• 50 quick ideas to improve your user stories” by Gojko Adzic and David Evans
    • 50 quick ideas to improve your tests” by Gojko Adzic and David Evans
    • 50 quick ideas to improve your retrospectives” by Tom Roden and Ben Williams

How Google Tests Software” by James Whittaker, Jason, Arbon and Jeff Carallo – Direct and informative

Continuous Delivery” by Jez Humble and David Farley. Gives good insight when moving towards Test Ops.

Archana
    Participant
    @archana

The Art of Software Testing – by Glenford Myers is a book that I have started reading recently and I seems to be pretty good

Alex
    Participant
    @tripleseven

I love “What if” from Munroe because it reflects what testers are or should be: People looking at things from all perspectives even if it sounds weird. It is an eye-opener and a brain activator. Take those questions as a challenge and see where you go.

“How many Lego bricks would it take to build a bridge capable of carrying traffic from London to New York? Have that many Lego bricks been manufactured? – Jerry Petersen”

Jahnvi
    Participant
    @gosaijahnvi

lession learned in software testing and the art of software testing by glenford myers are my favorites testing books

ASP.Net Software Development

Daraksha
    Participant
    @daraksha23

Book by Bret Pettichord, Cem Kaner, and James Marcus Bach is the best book for software testing. and this one is my favorite.

Daraksha
    Participant
    @daraksha23

Best Book for Software Testing  is Book by Bret Pettichord, Cem Kaner, and James Marcus Bach

Priti
    Participant
    @priti

My favorite Software Testing book is, “The Future of Software Quality Assurance”  When I was started my first job with QA Testing Company in USA, that time the book really helpful for me

John
    Participant
    @johnathanmuller

Michael Portnov has quality tutorials.

Nick
    Participant
    @nickdevelux

The Art of Software Testing`

Software Testing: A Craftsman’s Approach, Fourth Edition

How to Break Software: A Practical Guide to Testing

Best Regards, Nick Cooper.

kennedy
    Participant
    @kennedystewart

I have come here to learn more good books

Katy
    Participant
    @katysteven1234

There are lots of book available on internet but some are my favorite because of its simple wording as well clear concept.  Some of my favorite books are listed below hope you will also get enough knowledge from these books.

<li class=”q-relative” style=”margin: 0px 0px 0px 2em; padding: 0px 0px 0.7em; box-sizing: border-box; position: relative;”><span style=”background: none;”>Software Test Automation- Effective Use of Test Execution Tools by Mark Fewster & Dorothy Graham.</span>
      <li class=”q-relative” style=”margin: 0px 0px 0px 2em; padding: 0px 0px 0.7em; box-sizing: border-box; position: relative;”><span style=”background: none;”>Software Testing, 2nd Edition 2005.</span>
      <li class=”q-relative” style=”margin: 0px 0px 0px 2em; padding: 0px 0px 0.7em; box-sizing: border-box; position: relative;”><span style=”background: none;”>A Practitioner’s Guide to Software Test Design.</span>
      <li class=”q-relative” style=”margin: 0px 0px 0px 2em; padding: 0px 0px 0.7em; box-sizing: border-box; position: relative;”><span style=”background: none;”>Buddha in Testing: Finding Peace in Chaos.</span>
      <li class=”q-relative” style=”margin: 0px 0px 0px 2em; padding: 0px; box-sizing: border-box; position: relative;”><span style=”background: none;”>Software Test Automation: Effective Use of Test Execution Tools.</span>

Hope it will be helpful to you

taareni
    Participant
    @taareni9

<p style=”box-sizing: border-box; padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1rem; overflow-wrap: break-word; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.6; text-rendering: optimizelegibility; color: #3c4858; font-family: roboto, sans-serif;”>I have these old books on my shelf. I can post them to anyone in Ireland if they pay the postage (c. 8 euro each) (or hand them over at the next SoftTest event on Aug 18 featuring Mark Fewster )</p>

Lokesh
    Participant
    @lokeshjoshi

Lesson Learnt in Software Testing by  James Bach and Testing computer software by Cem Caner is the best Software testing Book, I also found this Post on the Internet, here author listed the Best Software Testing Books, Hope this helps you.
    Thank You.

Roshan U
    Participant
    @roshan

Hi Emma,

The world of test automation, development and detailed information regarding these things is like an ocean. We all are still lost little children if we think we have learned or achieved anything so far.

So, Test Driven Development: By Example (Addison-Wesley Signature Series (Beck)) is my favourite book. In this particular book he’s also states the unparalleled growth of test driven development

Roshan U
    Participant
    @roshan

<p style=”color: #0e101a; background: transparent; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”background: transparent; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;” data-preserver-spaces=”true”>As we all are witnessing, the software development sector is leaping toward new glories by adopting the latest technologies and adapting with the most innovative testing solutions.</span></p>

<p style=”color: #0e101a; background: transparent; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”background: transparent; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;” data-preserver-spaces=”true”>My favourite book is the booming Test Driven Development: By Example (Addison-Wesley Signature Series (Beck)). </span></p>

<p style=”color: #0e101a; background: transparent; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”background: transparent; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;” data-preserver-spaces=”true”>In this book, the author is saying </span><span style=”background: transparent; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;” data-preserver-spaces=”true”>the unparalleled growth of test driven development </span><span style=”background: transparent; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;” data-preserver-spaces=”true”>and its unavoidable necessity. On thw]e whole, the book was very helpful and informative.</span></p>

Roshan U
    Participant
    @roshan

<p style=”color: #0e101a; background: transparent; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”background: transparent; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;” data-preserver-spaces=”true”>As we all are witnessing, the software development sector is leaping toward new glories by adopting the latest technologies and adapting with the most innovative testing solutions.</span></p>

<p style=”color: #0e101a; background: transparent; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”background: transparent; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;” data-preserver-spaces=”true”>My favourite book is the booming Test Driven Development: By Example (Addison-Wesley Signature Series (Beck)). </span></p>

<p style=”color: #0e101a; background: transparent; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”background: transparent; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;” data-preserver-spaces=”true”>In this book, the author is saying </span><span style=”background: transparent; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;” data-preserver-spaces=”true”>the unparalleled growth of test driven development </span><span style=”background: transparent; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;” data-preserver-spaces=”true”>and its unavoidable necessity. On thw]e whole, the book was very helpful and informative.</span></p>

joe
    Participant
    @joelie

fsergsreg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.