Defect Detection Rate

Home Forums Software Testing Discussions Defect Detection Rate

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Archana
    Participant
    @archana

When you start testing of a new application, do you have a rate of finding defects in mind (say 1 defect every 10 minutes on an average)?
    Do you focus on that?
    Do you calculate the rate at the end of testing?

Jesper
    Participant
    @jesper-lindholt-ottosen

I don’t focus on defect detection rates or Meantime between failures MTBF. What mostly interests me is MTTR – mean time to recover, ie how fast the defect turn around time is. Sometimes it can be interesting to look at how many “iterations” a defect have before it is closed, but that depends on the number of dev teams.

I wrote about the rate of active defects here:

http://www.ministryoftesting.com/2014/04/daily-defect-count-image-camel/ 

Archana
    Participant
    @archana

Pretty interesting article that.

I too do not focus on defect detection rate during testing. But at the end of the testing, I do check it once.

Augusto
    Participant
    @augusto-evangelisti

I tend to focus more on delivering value to my customers

Ultimate Guide to Reducing the Amount of Defects and other Waste in your Product

Alin
    Participant
    @groza-alin88

Hi Archana,

I don’t use any defect detection rate. Personally, I don’t think it is ok to define this rate because defects have different severity. You can find 10 minor bugs in one day and 2 major bugs in the next day. Of course, there can be used metrics with various weights for defects characteristics (severity, likelihood etc.) but you risk focusing more on this metrics/rates and less on testing and quality.

I have seen managers that use this defect detection rate as a target for the testing team during a specific iteration/sprint, but the rate is set by the managers and not by the testers

Regards,
    Alin

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

Good post on it here too:

Defect Detection Percentage: handle with care!

Tassawer
    Participant
    @tassaweramin

@ronan an extremely interesting article on DDP.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.