With the advent of record and playback automation tools, software testers that were non-programmers felt empowered as they could create UI automation scripts without learning to code. But soon with the requirement of complex applications and advancement in the software development frameworks, the same tools failed.
Again the focus shifted to test automation tools that required scripting like Selenium WebDriver, UFT One, Test Complete, etc. But in recent times, we have seen the renaissance of several codeless automation tools that boast of robust test automation without the need to write a single line of code.
In this article, we will go through some of the top codeless automation tools, both paid and free, and list some of their features. You can learn these tools with only the knowledge of manual testing.
Selenium IDE is an open-source record and playback test automation tool using which we can automate different types of web applications. It is one of the components of the Selenium suite which comprises of Selenium WebDriver and Selenium Grid as well.
Selenium IDE features:
- It is an open-source record and playback tool for web applications.
- It comes in the form of a browser extension and currently supports script creation in Chrome and Firefox browsers only.
- Using its command-line runner, the scripts can be made to execute on different browsers other.
Tosca is a paid automation tool provided by Tricentis that has been rated number #1, 5 years in a row in Software Test Automation by Gartner. It has an Automation Recording Assistant that provides a rapid recording experience.
- Testers with non-programming backgrounds and expertise find it very quick and easy to learn.
- There is no need to design frameworks as everything is pre-built and already defined unlike tools like Selenium WebDriver in which modular, data-driven, Hybrid frameworks are required to be created.
- It supports the importing and running of the Selenium WebDriver script which makes it really easy to use your existing Selenium scripts and transition completely to Tosca.
Katalon Studio is a test automation tool provided by KMS Technology that supports both record & playback and scripting capabilities. It has two modes – Manual mode and Script mode. Manual mode is for non-programmers and the script mode is for those who want to use the advanced capabilities.
Katalon Studio features:
- Katalon Studio supports the automation of web applications, mobile applications, and web services both – REST and SOAP Web services.
- It can be integrated with various third-party tools like Git, Jenkins, qTest, and Jira.
- Like Tosca, all the capabilities of a testing framework are already in-built in the tool. Features like handling of the object repository, reporting, screenshots, and sending emails, etc are pre-configured.
Ranorex Studio is a licensed test automation tool using which we can create automated scripts with minimal or no coding for desktop, web, and mobile applications.
- It supports automation on all popular browsers – IE, Microsoft Edge, Chrome, Firefox, etc, along with automation of desktop as well as both Android and iOS applications.
- It supports automation of all the platforms/technologies Java, .Net, Flex, etc.
- It can be used to perform cross-browser testing in which a test case written on one browser/device can be executed on different browsers and mobile devices.
Perfecto Codeless is a licensed test automation tool using which we can create powerful test automation suites without needing to code and with near zero-maintenance with their self-healing AI (as claimed by the tool).
Perfecto Codeless features:
- It can be used to generate Selenium test scripts without any coding, using its simple record and playback interface.
- It is cloud-based, so it requires no installation and setup on any local machine.
- It supports integration with CICD tools like – Jenkins, TeamCity, etc.
TestCraft is a licensed Selenium-based test automation tool that provides a completely codeless solution for automated testing. Like Perfecto-Codeless, the tool claims to have an AI technology that reduces the maintenance overhead.
- It provides a SaaS-bases solution with no setup and installation requirements.
- It supports quick integration with CICD tools like – Jenkins.
- Along with the support for normal validations, it also provides a database as well as screen validation.
With this, we have come to an end of this article on top test automation tools with minimal coding. These tools are really easy to learn even with no prior programming experience. You can pick any of these tools and quickly create a robust test automation suite.
See more software testing resources on EuroSTAR Huddle.
For more information on testing tool providers, see the EuroSTAR Software Testing Conference which brings together the top testing tool and service providers for Europe’s largest testing expo.