What’s your top 5 testing tools in your toolkit?

Home Forums Software Testing Discussions What’s your top 5 testing tools in your toolkit?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dan
    Participant
    @danashby

What are you’re top 5 tools that you utilize for your testing?

I’ll kick us off:
    Xmind – mind mapping software
    Firebug – Firefox dev tools
    Fiddler – a proxy tool for intercepting your web traffic
    Lync – an instant messaging app that allows file sharing and screen sharing
    Test Data Generator – allows you to generate test data within a few clicks

Mauri
    Participant
    @mauriedo

I was a user of Xmind but then switched to mindmup.com given its sync features w/ google drive, so that I have my maps and docs altogether easily in the same cloudy place.

Other web proxies that I’ve used at some point…
    Burp Suite, with lots of interesting features
    Charles web proxy, not free, but one of the few that offers reliable bandwitdh throttling
    Tamper Data, simplifies the tracing, timing and edition of requests

A powerful notepad application like notepad++ or sublime text, useful for simple programming, code visualisation, massive search and replace with regular expressions, take notes during exploratory sessions…

To end with, and probably off topic, but I never leave my desk without a good notebook and my 4 pens (black,blue, red, green), just in case! 🙂

marzio
    Participant
    @marzio

my top 5 (or thereabouts) list of tools we handle in these times:

Jira / Confluence: to document whatever might come in handy for testing.
    GDrive / NotePad: to write checklists, testcases, short scripts, useful info, tips and hints.
    PuttyManagerCM: to chase the logs, wherever they hide!
    FireBug/Http Fox: (and their versions for other browsers) to better understand FrontEnd and analyze web traffic.
    MindMup / LucidChart: to play with diagrams, bother people and look cool!

evergreens: our brain, our experience, our feeling.

Rainer
    Participant
    @rdeussen

Test management and defect tracking tools which allow you to specify test cases based on requirements there are a dime a dozen. Test steps are usually entered in text fields. But when it comes to tools which support test design based on a testing method, the number of tools drastically narrows down to only a handful of specialized tools.

1) Classification Tree Editor CTE XL

One of them is the Classification Tree Editor CTE XL by Berner & Mattner. This tool allows you to design test cases based on the classification tree method.
    Test cases can be prioritized. Pairwise-testing method can be applied as well.
    (http://www.berner-mattner.com/en/berner-mattner-home/products/cte/index.html).

2) Test Case Generator (TCG)

In case you want to design test cases based on equivalence partitioning then I can recommend the Test Case Generator (TCG). This tool also allows
    to apply pairwise testing. Unfortunately it is not planned that this tool will be developed further.
    (http://testcasegenerator.codeplex.com/).

3) Rapid Reporter

The main concept of explorative testing is that you do not follow test cases which have been written down in advance during a test design phase. But how to document the results of your exploratory testing? In order to document your findings I recommend Rapid Reporter
    (http://testing.gershon.info/reporter/).

4) Graphviz

When applying the state-driven testing method, one has to draw state diagrams. One useful tool is the graph visualization software Graphviz.
    (http://www.graphviz.org/)

5) Webnote

Sometimes also small tools which were designed for a different scope then testing can be useful and make a difference. I remember one project which had the situation of a limited number of accounts for a test system together with multi-site testing happening. To document the current use of the system I had recommended to the project to use Webnote, a website which allows you to take notes and to share them by providing the workspace name (or url). For each tester a note with the tester’s name on it had been created. While the test system was used by a tester, he had to move the note with his name on into the pool of “current users”
    (http://www.aypwip.org/webnote/).

Stuart
    Participant
    @stuartwildman

I can’t believe no one hasn’t mentioned Excel
    Gotta love a pivot 🙂

stefan
    Participant
    @ipstefan

1. Internet together with google search engine
    2. MindMap
    3. Browsers with various add-ons
    4. Sublime Text
    5. Atlassian Packages (Jira/Confluence)

Adina-Valentina
    Participant
    @rav121

1. Eclipse with all its plugins
    2. Web Storm
    3. Jmeter
    4. Any Network sniffer
    5. jenkins

Prashant
    Participant
    @prashant_geek

Hey check out this article by SDTimes featuring modern testing tools in agile world. Glad to tell you that my own tool TestingWhiz has been featured among. Here’s the article link

Padmaraj
    Participant
    @padmaraj

Hi All,
    In digital age, as a “Test Engineer” I still love use testing tools such as:
    1)Pencil / Pen
    2)Paper ( to draw some models, prototypes, architecture blueprints of the app/software )
    3)Book for short & long notes
    To tweaking my testing job. 🙂

Klaas
    Participant
    @klaas

1 Xmind
    2 Evernote
    3 Python (to make own tools)
    4 SOAPUI
    5 Pen and Notebook

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.