What's the most important skill a software tester should have?

Home Forums Everyday Testing – Careers, Learning and more What's the most important skill a software tester should have?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

The most popular video on the EuroSTAR youtube channel is this video on the skills a software tester should have.

I thought it would make a great conversation. I’m sure that are many diverse opinions out there depending on what area of testing you are involved in, how you test but I’m sure that are some over-lapping thoughts.

Communication seems to be a very popular one.

Kim
    Participant
    @punkmik

communication is very important and having worked with a variety of people I would add a critical and creative mind. And not being afraid to be wrong.

You need to be quite strong willed to be able to get your point across sometimes and are not allowed to be scared to sound stupid. Everyone’s opinion is valuable and more often than not you will find that you are the one thinking outside of the box. 🙂

Sorry I rambled a bit!

Claudiu
    Participant
    @claudiu-draghia

I would like to think that being ferociously open minded helps a lot…. for me it did…

//claudiu D.

Archana
    Participant
    @archana

Recently read an article that talks about creativity as a skill that software testers should have. Found it interesting.

You can read it here.

Kasper
    Participant
    @kasper

As I stated at Eurostar 2008: Imagination is more important than knowledge.

So I’d say imagination is most important.
    Imagination is not the same as creativity. Imagination is seeing impossible, unreal, never thought of before ideas. Creativity is about exploring and combining existing ideas to create new ones. Creativity is very much grounded in reality.
    Typically we use creativity to solve known problems, with imagination we find new ones!

Venessa
    Participant
    @venessa

I think curiosity and the willpower to learn new things is very important skill a tester should have.

Qaisar
    Participant
    @qaisarimtiaz

For me, I think Analytical skills and ability to think like a user (s) can really up the game as QA Tester.

Christopher
    Participant
    @christopher_thompson

<p class=”MsoNormal”>If you want to make your career in the field of software testing, there are some skills you should have:</p>
    <p class=”MsoListParagraphCxSpFirst” style=”text-indent: -18.0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1;”><!– [if !supportLists]–><span style=”font-family: Symbol; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol;”><span style=”mso-list: Ignore;”>·<span style=”font: 7.0pt ‘Times New Roman’;”>        </span></span></span><!–[endif]–>Proficiency in Programming Languages</p>
    <p class=”MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle” style=”text-indent: -18.0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1;”><!– [if !supportLists]–><span style=”font-family: Symbol; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol;”><span style=”mso-list: Ignore;”>·<span style=”font: 7.0pt ‘Times New Roman’;”>        </span></span></span><!–[endif]–>Knowledge of Test Management Tools</p>
    <p class=”MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle” style=”text-indent: -18.0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1;”><!– [if !supportLists]–><span style=”font-family: Symbol; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol;”><span style=”mso-list: Ignore;”>·<span style=”font: 7.0pt ‘Times New Roman’;”>        </span></span></span><!–[endif]–>SDLC</p>
    <p class=”MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle” style=”text-indent: -18.0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1;”><!– [if !supportLists]–><span style=”font-family: Symbol; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol;”><span style=”mso-list: Ignore;”>·<span style=”font: 7.0pt ‘Times New Roman’;”>        </span></span></span><!–[endif]–>Agile Methodology</p>
    <p class=”MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle” style=”text-indent: -18.0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1;”><!– [if !supportLists]–><span style=”font-family: Symbol; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol;”><span style=”mso-list: Ignore;”>·<span style=”font: 7.0pt ‘Times New Roman’;”>        </span></span></span><!–[endif]–>Analytical Skills</p>
    <p class=”MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle” style=”text-indent: -18.0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1;”><!– [if !supportLists]–><span style=”font-family: Symbol; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol;”><span style=”mso-list: Ignore;”>·<span style=”font: 7.0pt ‘Times New Roman’;”>        </span></span></span><!–[endif]–>Excellent Communication Skills</p>
    <p class=”MsoListParagraphCxSpLast” style=”text-indent: -18.0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1;”><!– [if !supportLists]–><span style=”font-family: Symbol; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol;”><span style=”mso-list: Ignore;”>·<span style=”font: 7.0pt ‘Times New Roman’;”>        </span></span></span><!–[endif]–>Project Management</p>
    <p class=”MsoNormal”></p>

EMMANUEL
    Participant
    @reoblamez

Communication skills. …

Analytical and logical mindset. …

Project Management skills. …

Ability to follow procedures. …

Interpersonal skills. …

Attention to detail. …

Eagerness to learn. …

Excellent time management and prioritisation.

Charles
    Participant
    @charlessmith

There are several important skills that a software tester should have, but one of the most crucial skills is the ability to think critically. A software tester needs to be able to analyze complex software systems, identify potential problems or bugs, and come up with creative solutions to those issues.

Other important skills for a software tester include strong communication skills, attention to detail, and a deep understanding of software development processes and methodologies.

To know more about Software Tester like Skills, Roles and Responsibilities, Career Path, and more, read this blog: How to Become a Software Tester

ashwini
    Participant
    @ashwinil

<span style=”color: #1f1f1f; font-family: ‘Google Sans’, ‘Helvetica Neue’, sans-serif; white-space-collapse: preserve;”>Critical thinking and problem-solving</span><span style=”color: #1f1f1f; font-family: ‘Google Sans’, ‘Helvetica Neue’, sans-serif; white-space-collapse: preserve;”> edge out as the most crucial skill for a software tester,</span><span style=”color: #1f1f1f; font-family: ‘Google Sans’, ‘Helvetica Neue’, sans-serif; white-space-collapse: preserve;”> closely followed by </span><span style=”color: #1f1f1f; font-family: ‘Google Sans’, ‘Helvetica Neue’, sans-serif; white-space-collapse: preserve;”>meticulous attention to detail</span><span style=”color: #1f1f1f; font-family: ‘Google Sans’, ‘Helvetica Neue’, sans-serif; white-space-collapse: preserve;”>.</span><span style=”color: #1f1f1f; font-family: ‘Google Sans’, ‘Helvetica Neue’, sans-serif; white-space-collapse: preserve;”> These skills enable testers to uncover hidden bugs and ensure software quality.</span><span style=”color: #1f1f1f; font-family: ‘Google Sans’, ‘Helvetica Neue’, sans-serif; white-space-collapse: preserve;”> Other vital skills include communication,</span><span style=”color: #1f1f1f; font-family: ‘Google Sans’, ‘Helvetica Neue’, sans-serif; white-space-collapse: preserve;”> analytical thinking,</span><span style=”color: #1f1f1f; font-family: ‘Google Sans’, ‘Helvetica Neue’, sans-serif; white-space-collapse: preserve;”> learning agility,</span><span style=”color: #1f1f1f; font-family: ‘Google Sans’, ‘Helvetica Neue’, sans-serif; white-space-collapse: preserve;”> and automation expertise.</span>

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.