What proportion of regression testing involves manual testing?

Home Forums Software Testing Discussions What proportion of regression testing involves manual testing?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Paul
    Participant
    @paul-madden

How do you decide how much time to dedicate to automation versus manual testing in regression testing?

I expect an “it depends…” answer 😉 but would be interested to hear specific examples of approaches to regression testing. Especially interested to know in scenarios where releases are frequent and time is scarce.

Padmaraj
    Participant
    @padmaraj

Hi Paul

It depends, Ok we go with simple maths & now Imagine
    1 Module you want to automate regression testing
    10 Total test cases are written
    7 Test case you able to automate
    3 Test case manual testing due to application complexity or tool not support.

Now
    To run 10 test case you need manual 4 hours
    Now you add 7 automate regression testing
    Now total time reduced to 45 min for all 10 test cases ( including 3 manual test case )

Now
    Releases depend on your development methodology/framework.
    If you are using CI then you can calculate or plan how frequently we are running these test and how much time we can save.

Golden suggestion:: Get insights
    Make a excel sheet / google sheet make some data analysis with your on going testing project with ( Total testcase, No of manual, No of automated, Release frequency, regression frequency, time spent ) you get your answer yourself.

Thanh
    Participant
    @rocky

My assumption is that by regression test, you mean go back and re-perform the same exact test suite as before. If this is true, I suggest let machine do this job. Your testers should spend time on exploring new features and finding problems

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.