What is the difference between Selenium and Katalon Studio?

Home Forums Everyday Testing – Careers, Learning and more What is the difference between Selenium and Katalon Studio?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Nicola
    @nicolag

Can anyone explain in a simple format please?

Eric
    Participant
    @erictester

both are good testing tools, Selenium is open for integration with other tools and frameworks to enhance its capability, but Testing teams need to have good background in programming. The Katalon Studio is integrating necessary frameworks and features for fast test cases execution and creation. It’s also good for testers with limited technical knowledge.

Hailey
    Participant
    @hailey

This article may help you.

Katalon Studio versus Selenium

Nicola
    @nicolag

Perfect, that’s a good referral article. thanks @hailey

Darwin
    Participant
    @darwin

Though Katalon Studio is beginner friendly I prefer the flexibility of a Page Object Model-based framework from Selenium WebDriver over Katalon studio.

Nicola
    @nicolag

I found a good article written by Rai on Huddle actually

A Comparison of Automated Testing Tools

Sagar
    Participant
    @sagarleo1

Selenium is an automation API available in various programming languages like Java, JS, Python, Ruby, C#. You need to download the library and create the automation framework of your choice. You should be strong enough in coding to solve the automation scenario-based problem.

Katalon studio is a software tool, has been built with readily usable features. You just need to configure the software and use it for automation. Programming knowledge not required.

Selenium is open for integration with other tools and frameworks to enhance its capability, but Testing teams need to have good background in programming. Selenium is an automation API available in various programming languages like Java, JS, Python, Ruby, C#.

The Katalon Studio is integrating necessary frameworks and features for fast test cases execution and creation. It’s also good for testers with limited technical knowledge. Programming knowledge not required.

Darwin
    Participant
    @darwin

Few more points I came across recently,

• Katalon is only Groovy(Java) based
    • There is no flexibility to add custom keywords
    • In order to use it with different IDE’s,  code export from Katalon requires to export with Native Jar’s & libraries

Edit: Now they support custom keywords, for more information please read the official documentation here

David
    Participant
    @jhulax

wait, i thought katalon allowed for custom keyword generation? i just did it last week

Darwin
    Participant
    @darwin

@jhulax, thanks for pointing out. Updated my comment now, I should have checked. I am not using Katalon anymore.

Vivian
    Participant
    @vivianwilson

I have used Katalon Studio for 2 years and I think that Katalon Studio is one of the most powerful automation solutions in the industry. With a really user-friendly interface, it does not require avanced programming skill to use. Refer this link to have your own answers: https://www.katalon.com/katalon-vs-selenium

Sameera
    Participant
    @sameera11

The two are good tools for testing:

Selenium:

1. Selenium is an API for scripting of various programming languages such as Java, Javascript, Python, Ruby, C#. You have to access the library and build your choice’s automation system. Of coding, you should be good enough to solve the problem depending on the automation situation.

2. Selenium is open to collaboration with other platforms and frameworks to boost its performance, but research teams need a good programming context. Selenium is an application API that can be used in different programming languages such as Java, Javascript, Python, Ruby, C#.

Katalon Studio:

1.designed with features that can be conveniently used. You just need to customize and use the software for automation purposes. Knowledge in programming not needed.

2. The Katalon Studio incorporates essential mechanisms and functionality for the implementation and development of quick test cases. It’s also useful for testing people with limited technical knowledge.

3. Knowledge in programming not needed.

Alex
    Participant
    @tripleseven

I have mixed feelings about Katalon but since you asked for a simple answer (And this is from their website by the way): “Katalon Studio uses the Selenium engine for automated testing of Web applications.”

Katalon is a framework around Eclipse that allows you to utilize Selenium or Apium.

Hope that helps.

Emmanuel
    Participant
    @emmanuel

Hello family,  I am new to test automation without any advanced programming skills and would like to ask that which is best to learn for test automation?  Selenium or Katelyn Studio.  Thank you all

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.