What do you prefer to attend: a conference, workshop or local meet-up?

Home Forums Info & Off-Topic Discussion What do you prefer to attend: a conference, workshop or local meet-up?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Emma
    Participant
    @emmaconnor

What do you prefer to attend: a software testing conference, workshop/tutorial or meet-ups?

Which of these events do you generally finds gives you the best value as a tester?

Anurag khode
    Participant
    @anurag-khode

Workshops are best. In Many conferences most of the discussions or talks are on surface level. You can have much value in workshop as it enable us to participate and learn at the same time.

Alin
    Participant
    @groza-alin88

Hi Emma,

Generally speaking workshops are ok and well focused on a specific topic, but in many cases I have seen that the time is very limited because they usually take 1-2 days; this means 8 hours per day including coffee and lunch breaks. So, there isn’t too much time to get into details.

I prefer conferences because there is a large variety of topics and I can choose those who I am interested in. Also, there is a good way for sharing ideas and learning from others experience.

Regards,
    Alin

Aleksandra
    Participant
    @aleksandra-kornecka

I’m pretty sure that “It depends” 🙂 conferences are always exciting and inspiring – and you can also do much networking to expand the community and experience. But sometimes I lack diving into the core of one topic during conference. So, if you have trouble to learn sth by yourself, then you need workshops. Therefore to get to know what interesting happens all around it is good to attend the local meetups 🙂
    In my view all forms of professional knowledge exchange are needed, useful and nice. All depends on you attitude, current need and knowledge ‘stage’, and the time you have available for the event.

Emma
    Participant
    @emmaconnor

I agree @anurag-khode, workshops are definitely a good way of diving more into a specific topic which can be more beneficial sometimes.

But as @groza-alin88 mentioned it’s nice to be able to experience a large variety of topics in a conference setting. I find this very inspiring because you can get a taster of many different topics and then learn more about them after if you choose to. And it’s always interesting to see what others in the industry are doing and working on.

I find local meet-ups beneficial particularly from a networking perspective. It’s always good to meet people who have a common interest with you!

As you said @aleksandra-kornecka ‘it depends’ and at the end of the day all forms of professional knowledge exchange are needed 🙂

What conferences / workshops / meet-ups have you been to so far this year? And what ones are you planning on going to?

Aleksandra
    Participant
    @aleksandra-kornecka

Thanks for summin up our opinions, @emmaconnor 🙂

This year I cannot count the events I attended, but the most amazing was Eurostar Roadshow in Warsaw, Poland and the Quality Excites conference in Gliwice the south of Poland – I made most brilliant networking in those events and still I have some opportunities and nice results from them, also in knowledge 🙂

I have also organized great event Test Carrots (the first in the world testing workshop by Geek Girls Carrots community) and some minor. local ones in Poznań.
    But the best thing about the meetup, and the achievement by the way, is that my group Girls Who Test is growing 🙂

And what events (conferences, meetups, workshops) have you attended @groza-alin88 and @emmaconnor ?
    And what workshop you attended this year @anurag-khode?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.