• Author

I know some people are very particular about terms used so very interested in getting some clarification on what people generally use to refer to the different types of ‘non-scripted’ testing.

Exploratory testing tends to get used a lot but I know some people refer to this specifically when you are learning about the application as you are testing (and so there is a presumption of limited knowledge of the system under test).

Ad-hoc testing is not a term many like using as it sounds slack and not particularly well-structured etc.

Experience based testing – May refer specifically when you are using previous experience to drive the testing so again could be perceived as something a little different (e.g. using people with particular experience in particular types of applications or business scenarios etc).

Session based testing – appears to be the best term at the moment

Interested in thoughts from others, or pointers to any good (non-Bach) web articles on this.

An example or 2 of where I have used non-scripted approach are:
    – When applying a risk-based approach to testing (or augmenting other testing with some RBT) – e.g. someone in the business telling you what they feel are the things or scenarios that would concern them about the system once it goes live
    – Where requirements or functionality is relatively free-form – where you can have some fundamental tests to check the functionality but you want the testers to think on their feet and try and break it

I’m not sure if this was mentioned here but the thread on taxonomy of Software Testing Terms might be worth a look.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.