The most interesting place you have tested?

Home Forums Everyday Testing – Careers, Learning and more The most interesting place you have tested?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Daragh
    Participant
    @daraghm

Apart from the office, has there been any strange places where you have performed testing?

Loranne
    Participant
    @loranne

Cheyenne Mountain complex. NORAD headquarters. It was pretty impressive. 🙂

Aleksandra
    Participant
    @aleksandra-kornecka

I’ve been testing on the conference, and on the grass, and in the cafe, of course 🙂

Jesper
    Participant
    @jesper-lindholt-ottosen

at the customer.. in their office, in their production floor.
    mobile apps, I reckon, are best tested in the field

Erica
    Participant
    @ericalouise

Yeah! I do sometimes sit in a park and test

Aleksandra
    Participant
    @aleksandra-kornecka

@jesper-lindholt-ottosen
    ! Firstly I’ve read “on the floor” and I thought that the application had to be really “groundly” tested 😉 <winky>

Jesper
    Participant
    @jesper-lindholt-ottosen

@jesper-lindholt-ottosen ! Firstly I’ve read “on the floor” and I thought that tha application had to be really “groundly” tested ? <winky>

ha, yes – that could be a place too. 🙂
    I have tested a solution for pharma barcodes that had to be tested on the actual factory floor.

Alin
    Participant
    @groza-alin88

I have been testing while sitting in parks, in the cafe and traveling by train.

Michał
    Participant
    @imprezobus

I frequently test 3D models used in our application while sitting in public transit.

I had also two funny situations with out-of-office testing while I worked for Samsung.

First, I was planning to test IR blaster (universal remote) for some of the Samsung devices. To ensure as broad compatibility as possible, I went to shopping mall, entered electronics store, and started to use those devices on the TV’s available in there. This was a hour session of TV mayhem in that store. While I was leaving, I was stopped by the guards, who asked me to show the contents of my backpack. I’ve opened it and showed them ten tablets and several phones. They were like “What da f-“, and I said “Well, we can check your store for these tablets, but since none of them hit the market yet, I doubt that you will find my behaviour potentially risky. These are the results of my tests – showed them the papers – Am I free to go?”

Second, it was the first day of real spring – the first nice day in several months. I just couldn’t handle being at the office with all those birds singing outside. I wrote a report “Imma gonna test da compass feature”, got all the approvals, took five tablets to backpack, and went on a trip, checking if the compass worked correctly across all devices. That was the perfect day at the “away from the office” 🙂

Each of these testing sessions produced more than twenty bug reports.

Patrick
    Participant
    @patrickduisters

Next to office an technical laboratories also in Usability Labs: pretty impressive. And every now and then also in medical laboratories. Upcoming will be in hospitals: curious how that will be…. 😳

Aleksandra
    Participant
    @aleksandra-kornecka

Wow, @imprezobus, nice situation 😀 and congrats for achieveing the bug goals 😉

@patrickduisters
    take care not to catch any illness 😉 at least, you can test the anti-bacterial touchpad feature :p

Daragh
    Participant
    @daraghm

is there not a lot of distractions testing in parks, cafes etc?

Christina
    Participant
    @christina

On a customer’s site. I was supposed to be training an overseas customer but was fairly certain their bespoke software wasn’t going to be ready. My boss persuaded me to go on site despite me saying we would be better postponing until we were certain the software would stand up. As expected the software wasn’t ready so I spent the day connected back to base testing the software that ended up being supplied to them a few weeks later (they visited us for the training).

My best use of testing as a distraction was during a course of medical treatment. Every 3 weeks I turned up at an oncology unit, laptop in hand, and concentrated on bug hunting rather than on my treatment. Worked a treat!

Andrei Domuta
    Participant
    @andrei-domuta

I like the topic.
    I don’t exactly remember the weirdest place I tested some software but it was something like waiting in line at a shop or at a bust stop. Surely it was on a mobile device.

Aleksandra
    Participant
    @aleksandra-kornecka

I have the new weird place! Last week I tested in the train, finishing my daily work when travelling home 🙂 I was happy to have mobile 4G internet by my side <3

Shirley
    Participant
    @shirleyperkins

😛 In the amusement park! had to once finish a project on a holiday 😀

mobileapps
    Participant
    @mobileapps

MOD Note – No obvious promotion is allowed in the forums. Please read Website Charter.

Aleksandra
    Participant
    @aleksandra-kornecka

Lol, great place @shirleyperkins ! 🙂 Ofc I wish you holidays without work, but testing in the amusement park seems really epic to me! In fact the great testing experience for me is like in amusement park 🙂

Archana
    Participant
    @archana

I have tested once in my kid’s school. I had to wait too long for my kid’s turn and thought of completing my work in this time 🙂

Patrick
    Participant
    @patrickduisters

As mentioned before, i had tested in (medical) labs and lately in a hospital ‘preparatorium’ where they teach and analyze human anatomy. I will save you the details of working at such places….

Mia
    Participant
    @miajohan

I tested sattelite signals and positining hardware+software on top of 12 meter walls of a huge sand pit in the north of Sweden, used for military drills. We carried a power unit up there (dragging it up a great sand dune, basically) to be able to catch and evaluate signals with our laptops.

We found quite a lot of bugs and restraints in that environment, i can tell you..

Aleksandra
    Participant
    @aleksandra-kornecka

Wow, @Miajohan, that’s really amazing, sounds mind-blowing!

But that’s also terrible that in such gear were so many bugs… 😮

I can add my additional place: I was little bit bored in my postgraduate course, so I have just opened my computer and started to work as I’m always busy 😉

Mia
    Participant
    @miajohan

Yes @aleksandra-kornecka, sometimes when the perfect system “hits the ground” in a demanding environment, things are not as they seemed in the test lab, unfortunately.

As for running tests during courses – been there as well 🙂

Cristi
    Participant
    @cristi-preda

Well we test everyday in every corner of the world (you drink a glass of water, you do an off-road trip….everything is a testing ground for us)

Yuriy Babay
    Participant
    @yuriy-babay

I have tested with Blisk browser and found a lot of compatibility bugs.

[mod/JO: Link removed. carefull wrt. commercial links.]

Archana
    Participant
    @archana

Well we test everyday in every corner of the world (you drink a glass of water, you do an off-road trip….everything is a testing ground for us)

I like your way of looking at it .. Very true..

Aleksandra
    Participant
    @aleksandra-kornecka

Of course, that’s true 🙂 – that we as humans, not exclusively the testers, have been constantly testing something 😉 but it’s still highly interesting to get to know what particular thing you’ve been testing in the particular place.

That’s little bit creepy, but since I’m mobile apps tester, I’ve been testing in very, non-office spaces like train, waitrooms and…hospital recently 😮

Maybe you have tested in more strange, odd or just unique or unusual place? Maybe we should organize the “Strangest place to test software” contest? 🙂

Kamila
    Participant
    @kotografka

Well…

This

หาดตาแหวน, Ko Lan Island, Thailand

There was a rather good internet connection. This place was not only interesting… It was also THE BEST place.

Richard
    Participant
    @richardsanders

I think that the public education system is good if you have a slower child. However, there are many challenges. In theory inclusive education is great the downfall is the lack of funding to ensure it.
    UK Essays

stefan
    Participant
    @ipstefan

The most interesting place you have tested?

I tested Switzerland and it was really interesting!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.