TestOps in the Cloud

Home Forums Software Testing Discussions TestOps in the Cloud

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jonathon
    Participant
    @jonathon-wright

Slides

The Testing landscape is changing forever, the traditional CoreIT approach to providing business value through testing is constantly being challenged. The drive towards embracing FluidIT through open innovation calls for a new models that can support the rapid adoption of DevOps practices stressing the need for accelerated communication, collaboration, integration, measurement and automation (build) as part of every organisation journey to become a true ‘Digital Enterprise’.

However, this raises the question.. what is our role as testers as part of TestOps?

Key Takeaways

– Learn how to do ‘TestOps’ in the Cloud
    – Discover the difference between ‘DevOps’ and ‘TestOps’
    – Explore models that help support SAFe, DAD and LeSS
    – Leverage patterns and recipes that can help you move away from ‘CoreIT to ‘FluidIT’

View the Webinar & Slides Here

Jason
    Participant
    @jason-quillian

You mentioned an ISO Standard next year. Which standard were you referring to exactly? (e.g. the next ISO 29119 part?)

-Jason

Andy
    Participant
    @carrichapp

Thanks for the presentation, sadly i have to leave as I have a meeting of which I am the host! Thanks again.

Andy Carrington-Chappell
    www.carrington-chappell.co.uk

Dan
    Participant
    @danielbilling

Great use of Star Wars analogies..however, I don’t think the Empire would have embraced Test Ops. More of a JFDI organisation 😉

Anyway, thanks for a great talk with some interesting and challenging thinking.

Suraj
    Participant
    @surajpearson

Really good presentation. I would be interested in more discussions on IoT’s and TestOps.

Ioana Serban
    Participant
    @ioanasaysgo

Thanks for the presentation! You’ve focused a lot on how testing will look in the future but I’m also interested in how you see the tester’s role changing in this brave new world of DevOps/TestOps. Specifically, what do you think testers need to learn in terms of skill set and what do you think are some incremental steps that can help bring a team from a more traditional way of testing to this new more reactive, testing as a service type approach?

Jonathon
    Participant
    @jonathon-wright

You mentioned an ISO Standard next year. Which standard were you referring to exactly? (e.g. the next ISO 29119 part?)

Number of evolving open standards for Cloud 2.0 and off course the new ISO 29119 which I would have to defer to Stuart Reed:

ISO/IEC WD 29119-1 – Concepts and Definitions
    ISO/IEC WD 29119-2 – Test Process
    ISO/IEC WD 29119-3 – Test Documentation
    ISO/IEC WD 29119-4 – Test Techniques
    ISO/IEC WD 29119-5 – Keyword-Driven Testing

Worth reading part 4 and the new part 5 documents and visiting the WG26 website – http://softwaretestingstandard.org/

Jonathon
    Participant
    @jonathon-wright

Really good presentation. I would be interested in more discussions on IoT’s and TestOps.

Hi Suraj,

As mentioned Paul Gerrard has been working on ‘The IoE – How Will we Test it’ plus a paper on ‘IoE – Architecture and Risks’ & ‘IoE – What is it and how will it affect you?’ which I had the pleasure of reviewing and is extremely exciting and insightful.

Something to look forward to for 2015 and his upcoming EuroSTAR session on ‘Putting Models at the Heart of Testing’

https://huddle.eurostarsoftwaretesting.com/event/2015/putting-models-heart-testing/

TestOps has been talked about for a number of years now Seth Eliot whilst he was at Microsoft, Redmond (where I was yesterday) when he was a Knowledge Engineer he now works for Amazon (but lets not hold that against him).

Check out his blog especially on Data-Driven Quality (DDQ) http://www.setheliot.com/blog/2014/11/24/ddq1/

Looking forward to seeing if TestOps gains traction or not!

Jonathon
    Participant
    @jonathon-wright

Thanks for the presentation! You’ve focused a lot on how testing will look in the future but I’m also interested in how you see the tester’s role changing in this brave new world of DevOps/TestOps. Specifically, what do you think testers need to learn in terms of skill set and what do you think are some incremental steps that can help bring a team from a more traditional way of testing to this new more reactive, testing as a service type approach?

Hi Ioana,

Great question hopefully I can do it justice with the answer by saying that the shift towards becoming ‘Ambassadors of Quality’ or what the industry seems to be referring to as ‘Data Scientists’ is a step in the right direction with systems thinking / dynamics at the heart of everything.

The stuff that I have been working on recently seems to be what they call ‘Smart Thinkers’ who are natural problem solvers (people with engineering / applied maths / physics backgrounds). I’m not going to move into any Emotional Intelligence stuff I will defer to Julie Gardiner on the soft skills but technical skills I would recommend taking a look at Chef and the general concepts behind DevOps and the direction the domain tools are taking HP ALM 12.5 (currently in alpha) with the Predictive ALM/Analysis/Planning/Testing/Build/Release and Microsoft the same but replacing Predictive with Smart I think it is more on what we do with the Data to turn it into Insight than say learning xCode or something.

Again I would defer to Seth Eliot who discussed the role for testers specifically in the following article: http://www.softwaretestpro.com/Item/5470/Quality-in-the-Cloud-The-new-Role-of-TestOps/Test-and-QA-Cloud-Software-Test-Professionals-Conference

Would be happy to talk about this in much more detail feel free to connected on LinkedIn.com/in/automation happy to help with any questions around this topic or my previous webinars (www.slideshare.net/jonathon_wright).

Jonathon
    Participant
    @jonathon-wright

Great use of Star Wars analogies..however, I don’t think the Empire would have embraced Test Ops. More of a JFDI organisation ;)

Thanks Dan,

Always difficult when everyone has done it to death that’s why I took the opportunity to take advantage of the recent release of the second trailer for ‘The Force Awakens’ that way it will help to carbon date my presentation going forward I did the same with the ‘UFT 12 Cookbook’ on page 100 which has the XML scheme with the IMDB details for the Plot!

Which reminds me if anyone can spot the non-star wars quote that I hidden in my slides then I’d be happy to send them a copy of the ‘UFT 12 Cookbook’ or ‘Experiences in Test Automation’ book (for the first person with the right answer!

Ahmed JEBLI
    Participant
    @ahmed-jebli

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dan wrote:</div>
    Great use of Star Wars analogies..however, I don’t think the Empire would have embraced Test Ops. More of a JFDI organisation ;)

Thanks Dan,

Always difficult when everyone has done it to death that’s why I took the opportunity to take advantage of the recent release of the second trailer for ‘The Force Awakens’ that way it will help to carbon date my presentation going forward I did the same with the ‘UFT 12 Cookbook’ on page 100 which has the XML scheme with the IMDB details for the Plot!

Which reminds me if anyone can spot the non-star wars quote that I hidden in my slides then I’d be happy to send them a copy of the ‘UFT 12 Cookbook’ or ‘Experiences in Test Automation’ book (for the first person with the right answer!

Hi Jonathon,

We are currently moving from “regular” dev/test process to DevOps/TestOps process and reading your presentation is a good start, thank you for sharing.
    I will follow your publication, keep doing this 🙂

PS: Regarding the sw quote, isn’t it the one of the stormtrooper to darth vader, I think he was talking about plans and not blueprints 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.