Smoke and Sanity Check

Home Forums Software Testing Discussions Smoke and Sanity Check

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tassawer
    Participant
    @tassaweramin

It is always confusing to understand the difference between smoke and sanity check.
    Can anyone explain what is the difference between both and may be with the help of an example would be really helpful.

Archana
    Participant
    @archana

You can find many articles that explain the differences between the 2 in detail. Here is a good one.

Krister
    Participant
    @kristers

I think that, as usual, it can mean different to different people. They could mean the same. For me a smoke test is a test that checks if a release is stable enough to start structured testing, like a go/no-go decision.

the value of the test would be to not invest in heavy testing before you know it will be worth it. I like to do things in an sequence.

Smoke test
    Check bufgixes
    Check new functionality
    Regression test

I guess Sanity check could be an extended smoke test. The word sanity could imply that you check release notes, review status etc.

/Krister

Matthew
    Participant
    @web-eurostareuro-point-co-uk

I have always used the two terms interchangeably. The link @archana gave is an example where someone has tried to make a distinction, which in my view, is unnecessary.

If you look at the glossary that the ISTQB have put together (edited by Eric van Veenendaal, and including contributions from such people as Rex Black, Isabel Evans, Dorothy Graham, Stuart Reid and Mike Smith amongst many others), there is absolutely no distinction between the two.

The definition given by the ISTQB is:

A subset of all defined/planned test cases that cover the main functionality of a component or system, to ascertaining that the most crucial functions of a program work, but not bothering with finer details.

A searchable version is also available.

Anubhav
    Participant
    @anubhav

Well every person have there own thoughts about this. So As per my understanding :

Smoke Testing : Smoke testing is the initial testing process exercised to check whether the software under test is ready /stable for further testing. Smoke testing is a type of software testing which ensure that the major functionalities of the application are working fine. This testing is also known as “Build verification testing “.

Ex : If any application have login window and after login we can continue further task then first we need to check that user is able to login with valid username and password or not. if its pass then mean smoke testing is pass. Because next we can continue another process.

this is the very simple example of smoke testing. there are lots of more example. its depend on the website functionality.

Sanity Testing : Sanity testing is performed after receiving a software build, with minor changes in code or functionality to confirm that the bugs have been fixed and there are no further issues introduced due to new changes. The objective is to determine that the recommended functionality works as expected. Sanity testing is a sub-set of regression testing.

For Ex :  Like for Example we have bugs fixed in module like : Student Adding Details page, login page etc. so we need to check complete these two module and sure that there are no bugs remain related to these module.

This is my own thoughts. Every person have different.

Tassawer
    Participant
    @tassaweramin

@archana @kristers @web-eurostareuro-point-co-uk @anubhav Thanks you for your replies and provided links which are really helpful in understanding the difference between both these terms.

Michael
    Participant
    @michaelabolton

There is no difference between the two, or the two are entirely different depending on your context.  You get to decide.

The ISTQB says that there’s no difference between the two, but they can’t back that up in your organization if someone there who’s running things says there is.  I claim that there might be a difference between the two, and it might even be meaningful, but that doesn’t matter if someone who matters in your organization says that there’s no difference. There is no authority over the way you or your organization go about your business—even in a regulated environment, you can have one set of terms internally and a different set for the auditors.

Smoke Testing vs. Sanity Testing: What You Really Need to Know

—Michael B.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.