Resume/CV when working for consultancy

Home Forums Software Testing Discussions Resume/CV when working for consultancy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Paul French
    Participant
    @paul-french

Hey all, Currently I work for a testing consultancy company and looking for advise on how I can add this to my CV. I’ve multiple different assignments and in each one having a different role (ranging from Senior TA, through Test Lead, and Test Manager). Should I be treating my time as a single job, or is there a case for treating the various assignments as individual “positions”. Previous employer history has all been direct with the employer. Thoughts are welcome.

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

Good timing in one way @paul-french We have our next hangout at the end of the month on working as a test consultant with @duncnisbetand @simonsaysnomore. They might have some advice for you.

shankar
    Participant
    @ping2shankargmail-com

Paul,

You can project this in two ways – summarise all the skills and capabilities you have as a consultant in the first part of your resume.
    It could be various roles or the type of assignments you have played.

This should bring out the versatality your have gained from your expereince.

Then you can give details of each assignment and callout the rolease you played in each assignment – highlighting the details of each assignment.

You would do this in reverse Chronological order the most recent on top – which would showcase your highgest capability.

Cheers,
    Shankar

Demola
    Participant
    @blututh

@paul-french

What any hiring manager wants to see is your experience, both in width (different company types) and depth (different projects \ products)

There is something to be said for the additional skills that Consultants bring with them – Structure, discipline, Customer centricity and or course the invaluable experience of having Tested different projects on different platforms with different people and different stakeholders.

So as a hiring manager I would love to see both 🙂

Consultancy XYZ
    Attached to 3 of our key clients within a XX year period

Assignment (1)
    Client XXX
    Project \ Product being tested
    Role

Assignment (2)
    Client YYY
    Role

Assignment (3)
    Client ZZZ
    Role

PS: and It doesn’t really matter that your CV is more than 2 or 3 pages….just ensure the most important things are on page 1 (this will make me want to read page 4)

Hope this helps…..

Gerie
    Participant
    @gerie

I’d treat it as a single job and list the assignments you want to highlight, such as mobile testing, automation etc. You might consider customizing which assignments you choose to highlight depending on the position for which you are applying.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.