Model based testing and Spec Explorer pros and cons

Home Forums Software Testing Discussions Model based testing and Spec Explorer pros and cons

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Claudio
    Participant
    @clg016

Hi everyone,
    I’ve just started to explore this area and I’d like to get some opinions, evaluation, suggestions from experienced users of the method in general and especially from Microsoft Spec Explorer users.
    Here are some beginner questions:
    1. What are the main difficulties in implementing the model based testing process into the testing community of the organization?
    2. Is Spec Explorer tool efficient, powerful? Are there significant issues regarding model implementation, state machine exploration, test case generation?
    3. Any benchmark evaluation results between model based vs. traditional test planning?
    4. Any examples of SW products where the method worked well vs. others where it proved to be inefficient?

Thanks a lot.

Rudi Kunze
    Participant
    @rudi-kunze

Hi Claudio,

for an embedded project for safety critical algorithms we use Spec Explorer since several years.
    Here are some newer publications to your questions I found very resonating to our experience:

MSDN 2013
    Bob Binder 2015
    MoTIP 2012
    Microsoft Protocol Documentation Program

The tool is absolutly professional and by far the best documented one of the three big MBT-tools. Take in mind that you have to use Visual Studio 2010 or 2012. And to be totally safe a Windows from that time frame, because Spec Explorer explores CIL which depends on Windows itself.

Claudio
    Participant
    @clg016

Hi Rudi,
    Thanks a lot for the material. I’m getting started, I’ll share here comments and issues.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.