Is there an IT crisis in Europe?

Home Forums Everyday Testing – Careers, Learning and more Is there an IT crisis in Europe?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

A recent article in the telegraph in the UK highlighted the fact that there is a lack of IT workers in the UK.

The report also pointed to an European Union report which said that there will be a shortage of skilled IT workers in 2020 in Europe of 800,000.

That seems like a bit of a shortfall. I wonder does anyone think that this is the case where you are or do you think it might be a bit of a over-estimation.

And how does testing fit into all of this?

Jesper
    Participant
    @jesper-lindholt-ottosen

yes, and have been so for years.

Fewer and fewer takes long IT educations – yet knowledge workers gets more and more important to the society. While the companies scream for talent – the government PISA-test the kids to be rote learners. The youngsters in return would rather be x-factor pop tarts or the new Messi… But eventually end up with a real job (See also: https://testhuddle.com/forums/topic/how-did-you-get-involved-in-software-testing/

Europeans love money, but hate change” | JULY 18TH, 2011 | http://www.horsesforsources.com

Ah… mes amis! Let’s rip out ze costs, but for ‘eaven’s sake, don’t make any changes to our mother-ship. By all means, sack all the expensive foreign staff in the vorldvide offices and sheeft ze vork to India or Les Philippines, but – we repeat – don’t CHANGE anything!

Simple checking tasks, and “old school” requirements-based testing can be done anywhere in the world. That is just a matter of price. So the european testers have to smart up, as I personally see a community already doing here on TestHuddle, TestBash, Nordic Testing Das etc.

Alin
    Participant
    @groza-alin88

Hi Ronan,

Indeed there is a problem regarding the small number of employees working in IT. I find it strongly related to what people want and like studying in schools as well as working after finishing their studies.

There are people who are very technical; in school they like math, informatics, physics etc. and they will study IT and engineering. For them it is sure that their job will be in an IT related domain.

On the other hand, others prefer humanities and social sciences; they will work in systems like law, health, economics or education. There could be some exceptions but these people will not work in the IT industry.

And there are people who have to choose between different domains. I think this category is large and, as Jesper says, not too many persons decide to take long IT education; IT requires a lot of time and effort to invest in. Thus, this industry may not be very attractive and there is a small number of people involved in. The industry is rapidly growing but the number of IT employees does not increase so fast.

It comes further something important and I like that the article points it out: trainings. Companies should spend more on trainings; this is not cheap but it is a long term investment and it can provide very good results.

Regards,
    Alin

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.