How do you improve your testing?

Home Forums Software Testing Discussions How do you improve your testing?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

What do you do to get better at testing? Do you attend meet-ups, workshops, watch webinars?

Do you practice areas of testing that you usually do not utilise at work or do you do something else?

Do you see what work colleagues are doing, discuss testing with them?

There are a number of different ways to approach this, I’m just curious what people’s preferences are?

ard_kramer
    Participant
    @ard_kramer

Improving your testing, is about talking and thinking about live in general 😉
    This sounds quite philosophical, (although not for a Qualisopher), because if you want to improve your testing you must be willing to open your eyes and mind for every thing around you: read, listen, discuss about what drives people and organizations, participate as volunteer in non-profit organizations, learn from sport, art, literature. They have solved or have been facing problems we are facing too in IT.
    Make it your quest which will last for the rest of your live and has so many different points of view. So go for the quest of learning, understanding, investigating so you will be able to improve yourself and your work step by step, day by day, Until you die (Amen)

the Ard of testing

Melvin
    Participant
    @msalazar18

To improve testing is necessary a combination of having the correct (or improved) domain knowledge, good test plan design taking into account inputs from different perspectives (development, portfolio, clients, other testers), and continues updates and reviews during the testing. Also having more than one tester with different backgrounds would help a lot to cover more scenarios.
    Regards!

Swasati
    Participant
    @sasha

What works for me is to know the Business Domain and design test cases based on that.

So as i am writing this post, found a new word “Empathic design”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathic_design

Bibi
    Participant
    @balli

By constantly learning and reading up on new strategies and techniques.

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

What works for me is to know the Business Domain and design test cases based on that.

So as i am writing this post, found a new word “Empathic design”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathic_design

That’s a great approach to have @sasha.

How did you decide on that approach?

Devanathan Ram
    Participant
    @thoughtsofdeva1

Actually there are a lot to do to get better in testing apart from reading blogs, watching webinars, etc.,

Below are a few that I can think about now (also, which I did in the past),
    1. There must be many feature upgrades to the system with few updates, now the regression library needs to be refined with addition of new ones and modifications of few old ones (which I believe is the toughest task)
    2. If you have the habit of keeping track of all old Requirement Traceability matrix, the second toughest task for you is this.
    3. Presenting an end to end demo of the functionality to the business and the stakeholders once your testing team has signed off testing and handed it off to the next team or to the production. (Demos are very critical and help the business and stakeholders in many ways)

What happens when you perform the above to task dedicatedly?
    1. You will master the product you test and there is a good probability you could move on to become an SME
    2. You create yourself a good accountability which would help you in your career forward

These are the boundary values of testing which actually adds up a great value & quality to your testing.

Sneha Singh
    Participant
    @sneha-singh

Software testing is not a job, it’s a responsibility. Either you are doing manual testing or you are writing complex automation scripts, you are the authorized person for the quality of that particular web page / module / overall product.

And to keep up with the responsibility in the highly competitive IT environment, it’s necessary that –

You find something bad before someone else finds out
    You see something critical before someone else thinks about it
    You report something extraordinarily before someone else has chance to do it
    You co-relate past experiences, learning, same work experience with current task and generate a fabulous output

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

Software testing is not a job, it’s a responsibility.

I like that quote. It’s a good way to think about your role @sneha-singh as sometimes a lot can depend on finding the bugs in software.

Abir Khan
    Participant
    @abir11khan

1. By keeping updates from other testers from twitter, mine is : @abir11khan
    2. By following Testing communities
    3. By attending Conferences
    4. By Solving problems of others in stackoverflow and such
    5. By Practising new field like test automation.

May
    Participant
    @mayflower

Currently in Global Organization, the tester can no longer work alone.

The approach in handling just one application, versus handling one component amongst the many as 300 components interact together, is different.

The testing community really need to learn Fast, Collaborate with each other in order to ensure the quality of the delivery.

Archana
    Participant
    @archana

I have learnt the most from fellow testers. Interacting with them, understanding their way of testing. I often go through defects raised by other testers so that I know what I missed and I can take care of that in the future.

sneha shinde
    Participant
    @abhilashawaghm11

Testing is improve when you learn and practice on testing, you should learn small things while testing.
    attending guest lectures on testing or conference.
    Doing testing class certifications.
    practice on real examples.
    this is all you are doing then your will improve.

[commercial content removed /mod]

Tassawer
    Participant
    @tassaweramin

@abhilashawaghm11 Please don’t attach/hyperlink commercial links inside your post / reply.

kokila
    Participant
    @zenrays1

learn software testing from good training center. zenrays technologies provide best software testing training in Bangalore

Tassawer
    Participant
    @tassaweramin

Really nice discussion and extremely informative.

mtom
    Participant
    @mtom78632

Thankyou for taking the time to write this it was a great read. Good job! facebook

Jeremy
    Participant
    @jeremyclark

ыролщзыфс

Rosie
    Participant
    @rosieguthrie

here are some commonly adopted practices by software testers to improve their skills:

Continuous learning: Attending workshops, conferences, meetups, watching webinars, and reading books, articles and blogs on testing.

Practice and experimentation: Testers can practice testing in areas outside of their daily work and experiment with different testing tools and techniques.

Collaboration: Discussing testing with colleagues, participating in testing communities, and collaborating on testing projects can help to expand knowledge and improve testing skills.

Code Review: Reviewing other testers’ code and sharing feedback can also help to identify areas for improvement and provide new perspectives.

Real-world applications: Participating in bug bounty programs, open source projects, or contributing to testing projects can help to apply testing skills to real-world applications.

It’s important to find the approach that works best for you, and continuously strive to improve your testing skills and knowledge.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.