Automation Testing Vs. Manual Testing

Home Forums Software Testing Discussions Automation Testing Vs. Manual Testing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Devi
    Participant
    @devi

Is learning Automation Testing good enough or do I need to learn Manual Testing as well? Help!

Ivor
    Participant
    @ivor

Hi Devi,

In my experience there is a need for both. Automation is great for performance and regression testing but there are always usability issues that can only be found by hands on end user testing and exploratory testing. Look and feel, ease of use, customer experience etc…

That’s my view may be a bit old school – lets see what others say.

Tassawer
    Participant
    @tassaweramin

There is always a trade off between Manual and automation testing.
    As @ivor discussed automation testing really helps in finding any regression but since not all scenarios can be automated you have to somehow rely on manual testing.

Do visit the Resources section there are lot of articles, blogs etc. available related to this.

kokila
    Participant
    @zenrays3

In manual testing (as the name suggests), test cases are executed manually (by a human, that is) without any support from tools or scripts. But with automated testing, test cases are executed with the assistance of tools, scripts, and software.

software testing training in Bangalore

PHP training in Bangalore

Richard
    Participant
    @rocketbootkid

Short answer: yes. You should learn as many things as possible.

Bit longer answer: Before you can automate a thing, you need to learn the thing. Assuming someone else isn’t just telling you what to automate (in which case I’d argue you’re not a tester), then you have to do non-automated testing first. I don’t think you can – or should – automate something that you can’t first do manually. Automation is optional, non-automated is not.

Archana
    Participant
    @archana

I agree with others.. both automation and manual testing are needed. If you do not learn manual testing, it will be difficult to learn automation testing

Alex
    Participant
    @tripleseven

I recommend a lecture from that guy: Michael Bolton. You can then Google for which-test-cases-should-i-automate

Why do you need to automate is the first question to answer. You might not need automation because automation is software that needs to be maintained, cared for.

Good testing start by using the product, this is done manually, get a sense, a feeling of the product, discover it’s strength and weaknesses. Then decide what part if worth automating (if any).

Alex
    Participant
    @tripleseven

I recommend a lecture from that guy: Michael Bolton.

You can then Google for which-test-cases-should-i-automate

Why do you need to automate is the first question to answer. You might not need automation because automation is software that needs to be maintained, cared for.

Good testing start by using the product, this is done manually, get a sense, a feeling of the product, discover it’s strength and weaknesses. Then decide what part if worth automating (if any).

arnav
    Participant
    @arnavgoyal

Yes, you must learn or experience manual testing as well along with automation testing. As manual testing will be required if an application is in either regression or stable phase.

Hope this help you!

[Commercial content removed by mod]

Mustakim
    Participant
    @mustakimshaikh

<span style=”color: #282829; font-family: -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, ‘Segoe UI’, Roboto, Oxygen-Sans, Ubuntu, Cantarell, ‘Helvetica Neue’, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;”>There are two sides to everything. </span>

<span style=”color: #282829; font-family: -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, ‘Segoe UI’, Roboto, Oxygen-Sans, Ubuntu, Cantarell, ‘Helvetica Neue’, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;”>If we talk about Automation Testing</span><span style=”color: #282829; font-family: -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, ‘Segoe UI’, Roboto, Oxygen-Sans, Ubuntu, Cantarell, ‘Helvetica Neue’, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;”>, It is the best tool to save time and cost together on a long-term basis. Our selection of tools depends on various factors like your business size, business goals, the scope of testing in your project, and ultimately what will be the skill set of the user of your app.</span>

If we talk about Manual Testing, It is<span style=”color: #282829; font-family: -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, ‘Segoe UI’, Roboto, Oxygen-Sans, Ubuntu, Cantarell, ‘Helvetica Neue’, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;”> a type of Software Testing where Testers manually execute test cases. It means the application is tested manually by QA testers.</span>
    <p class=”q-text qu-display–block” style=”margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; color: #282829; font-family: -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, ‘Segoe UI’, Roboto, Oxygen-Sans, Ubuntu, Cantarell, ‘Helvetica Neue’, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; box-sizing: border-box; direction: ltr; overflow-wrap: break-word;”>Tests need to be performed manually in every environment, using a different data set and the success or failure rate of every transaction should be recorded. This type of testing requires the tester’s knowledge, experience, analytical/logical skills, creativity, and intuition</p>

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.