Learning SQL Query Language For Better Database ManagementGo Back
- Posted by Trudy
Structured Query Language or SQL is aimed to store, edit, manipulate, and organize query data that are typically stored in a relational database. SQL was first introduced way back in 1974 by a team at IBM. It was then considered as the first prototype of relational databases. Later on it was Oracle, formerly known as Relational Software that released the first commercial relational database.
If you want to learn and use SQL for proper and efficient database management you will first need to know the standards and features of it. SQL can be used in different forms and flavors for managing some of the major RDBMS that you find today. There are chiefly two reasons for this such as:
- The standard of command used in SQL is quite complex and therefore it is not useful to implement it for the entire standard and
- It is required to differentiate each of the database vendors so that you can distinguish the product of each from the others.
In a SQL program there are a few statements that are used most commonly and are divided into specific categories such as:
- SQL Commands: These are the fundamental statements used in SQL for storing, manipulating, and retrieving data from a relational database.
- Advanced SQL: These are statements that help in discussing different commands in SQL as well as in making more advanced calculations.
- SQL Functions: These are the most commonly used math functions that you will find in SQL.
- Data Definition Language: Commonly known as DDL these are specific commands that are used to create, edit and delete any object for the database.
- SQL Constraint: This specific command limits the type of data that you can insert into a table or a column.
- SQL Alter Table: This command will tell you about the different ways in which you can alter the structure of a table after you have created it.
- SQL Null: This command will discuss about the NULL concept in SQL as well as its varied functions.
- SQL Video Tutorial: This is the command that will help you or your users to watch videos instead of texts to learn.
- SQL Syntax: This is ideally a single page that enlists all of the syntax to use and is used in writing SQL commands.
In addition to the above it may also contain an SQL Quiz that consists of 25 questions to help you check whether or not you have understood the SQL concept. You may also find SQL String Functions and SQL Date Functions.
Whenever you write each command for a query the SQL syntax will appear first that will present an example to explain. This will help you to use the correct syntax.
Basic database systems to know
However, if you know and understand the basics of SQL rather than master all its intricacies like the experts of RemoteDBA.com, it will be much easier to use this database language to create the SQL query and manage your database.
There are a few SQL database systems you should know about which are simply programs that will allow you as a developer to work more efficiently with databases using a proper user interface. Most of the database systems often come with ready to use and in-built templates, constructors and builders. Most of these tools will make your life as a database programmer much easier. Why? This is because these tools will automate all common tasks such as cleaning up the database system.
Since there are several such tools available on the internet it may be a bit overwhelming for you to choose the right one. The best way to approach is to follow the DB-Engines ranking system that is usually given depending on different variables such as:
- The number of mentions of a specific system on the websites
- The measure of the search engine queries and the number of results that showed up
- The general interest of the system
- The frequency of searches made in the Google Trends
- The frequency of technical discussions held on the specific system
- The number of job offers wherein the specific system was and is mentioned
- The number of profiles in which the system was mentioned in the professional networks and
- Its relevance in the social networks.
Based on this ranking system here are a few specific database systems that you will find topping the list which you can easily use to manage, edit and manipulate your SQL database.
- MySQL: This is a specific open-source database system that you can get for free. It is highly popular to individuals and businesses, especially the startups and small businesses. There is no license fee required to use it for different open source apps and software programs.
- Oracle: This is another leading SQL database system of the world and is used extensively across a wide range of industries. This system is popular for its ability to process online transactions and data warehousing.
- Microsoft: You can also use the SQL Server of Microsoft which is a designed specifically for database management jobs. This database system is effective and applicable on all key versions of operating systems of Windows. That means you can use it for web browsers as well as in consumer software that are run on Windows. Typically, this system has a very large user base.
- PostgreSQL: Considered to be one of the most significant and able competitor of MySQL, PostgreSQL is one more free and open source database system that you can use. Typically, most of the technology startups use this extensively due to its free licensing model. It supports all primary operating systems such as Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. It gives extra emphasis on more SQL syntax than the standard ones that other databases like SQL Server are commonly restricted to.
All these database management systems may not be easy to learn because a few of them can modify the SQL standard greatly making it more difficult to learn their language. However, the best way to expedite your learning process is to learn while working on different projects and practice.