Who Closes out the Defect Report ??

Home Forums Info & Off-Topic Discussion Who Closes out the Defect Report ??

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Tassawer
    Participant
    @tassaweramin

Just came across an interesting post Who Closes out the Defect Report from Mike Jennings where he discussed about life cycle of Bug report and who should be the one to close out a bug/ defect report.

Jesper
    Participant
    @jesper-lindholt-ottosen

Always direct the reply to a bug back to the person who found it.

good find!

Archana
    Participant
    @archana

I agree too.. The person who finds the defect is the one who should be closing it

Melvin
    Participant
    @msalazar18

Agree! The one that found it, the one that close it! (even thought in practice QA could end up closing bugs submitted for other people o reduce the metrics 😉 )

Tassawer
    Participant
    @tassaweramin

@msalazar18 Either QA or PM would be closing out bugs from other people 🙂

Kristina
    Participant
    @gedmikri

Hi,

I wouldn’t be so strict with the answer.

The strict rule should be, that reporter, always must be informed about the status of the bug, but sometimes decision to close it could be taken by other project members. From my experience, what we have in our projects:

1) bug is closed by reporter;

2) bug is closed by other team member, who has the same role in the project, as reporter (usually tester). This happens when:

a) lower priority bugs are fixed when reporter is no more a member of the project;

b) reporter needs a help with testing tasks and other team member re-tests fixed bug;

3) bug fix required approval from business, thus fix requires acceptance from their side too. In such a case, bug is closed by business person. These cases are not often, but we not always can avoid while working with of the shelf solution.

4) bug fix price is too high in comparison to the value it has. In such a case, bug might be closed by management (PO, PM, etc.) decision.

iain
    Participant
    @finners

Ideally the person who raised the defect/bug or someone within that team.  There also, needs to be good information/evidence on why you are closing the defect.

Lukasz
    Participant
    @lpietrucha

I am voting for the same as Kristina: it doesn’t really need to be the same person who raised the bug as long as he/she stays informed. It’s really a good practice to drop a short reasoning on why the report was closed, e.g. using comments in a tool;

Dan Svensson
    Participant
    @dan-svensson

While what Mike Jennings say applies in one way or another depending on the context it doesn’t mean anything without trust. The answer is:

Someone that you trust should close the issue. Trust to do what?

Trust the person that closes the issue to do due diligence on the issue whatever that might look like; verifying and testing the fix or trusting that someone else, that has provided information, has done their due diligence.

Archana
    Participant
    @archana

Someone that you trust should close the issue.

Very true. A person you trust can most certainly close the defects.

But I believe that in an organization, it may be difficult to set this up as a process based on just the trust factor.

bernice
    Participant
    @bernicestockstill

Interesting article, as for me

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.