Thank you.

Your uploaded files are waiting for moderation.

Blog

How to Get What you Want from Testing – Hangout with Michael Bolton

Go Back
Reading Time: 1 minute

You can type your questions for Michael below and we will address these during the Hangout.

BiographyMichaelBolton JPG

Michael Bolton is a software tester, consultant, and trainer with 20 years of experience around the world, testing, developing, managing, and writing about software. He is the co-author (with senior author James Bach) of Rapid Software Testing, a course that presents a methodology and mindset for testing software expertly in uncertain conditions and under extreme time pressure.

Currently, he leads DevelopSense, a Toronto-based consultancy. Prior to that, he was with Quarterdeck Corporation for eight years, during which he managed the company’s flagship products and directed project and testing teams both in-house and around the world.

Contact Michael at [email protected], or through his Web site, www.developsense.com

Go Back

Blog Post Added By

Join the discussion!

Share your thoughts on this article by commenting below.

45 comments to How to Get What you Want from Testing – Hangout with Michael Bolton

1. alt says:

the topic is ‘How to get what you want from Testing’

I’d assume we need to start with what one can get out of testing. Not sure if testers can give yet an answer on this. (: can you comment on this πŸ™‚

2. alt says:

need to work on my questions πŸ™‚ I tried to look at this topic ( as not a tester) but an external person. Establishing the baseline – what a client should expect from testing πŸ™‚

there are many stereotypes – and misunderstandings on that testing is.
    Partially you already answered just now -> “by talking to them.”

Letting the client know what are the things they would benefit – so afterwards they can ask for the testing aspects that would fit their needs and meet their business value.

For us as a testers to tackle that would be to expose our “sales” people tho these ideas so this is taken into account, right πŸ™‚

3. Jayne says:

I cant see any other comments here currently but there are some interesting topics discussed πŸ™‚ I am interested in learning about the Rapid Software testing. Alot of the time we find that when deadlines draw near, testing time is cut. I have seen this over the years with various companies, how can we improve this scenerio without reducing the test coverage?

4. Marium Zulfiqar says:

Can you point out 5 common mistakes the QA’s of an organization commit when the organization transits to agile way of working. And if possible how to correct those mistakes

5. Jayne says:

In your experience, what do you find is the best test process to follow? Many companies want to use Agile or strive to be Agile. Sorry I don’t have a microphone to join in.

6. Daragh says:

Michael will be conducting the following presentations at EuroSTAR 2014:

What’s The Problem? Delivering Solid Problem Reports – http://www.eurostarconferences.com/conferences/session/496/whats-the-problem–delivering-solid-problem-reports

and

Every Tester Has a PRICE: Sources of Product and Project Information – http://www.eurostarconferences.com/conferences/session/514/every-tester-has-a-price–sources-of-product-and-project-information

7. alt says:

Encourage – expose testers to the testing ideas that are out there πŸ™‚

answer from experience – the more one gets exposed to a company of passionate driven testers – the harder it’s to hit the breaks, and become ignorant πŸ™‚

so this is kinda a thanks to everyone who’s seeking out other testers for inspiration, support and knowledge – mentor-ship if you wish

8. Daragh says:
  9. alt says:

test cases can be useful if they fit the purpose – e.g.testing ideas for developers to automate, cover by tests (if a tester is not really into automation) πŸ™‚ test cases for checking – so to speak

10. alt says:

Maaret had a nice post regarding tester and automation -> http://visible-quality.blogspot.fi/2014/06/learning-to-code-just-learning.html?m=1

the point that got me ->

With all this, I find the ‘testers should code’ ‘why would a tester not learn to code’ a generally upsetting theme. Why should I want to be a mediocre coder when I can be a brilliant tester? Or why should I give up my aims of excellence in testing to learn coding to a level I consider professional?