• Author
    @kasper

In most discussions I have with testers the emphasis is that testing is about reporting on (or even improving) quality. In this I miss an essential point: testing is at least as much about building trust.
    The user has to trust the product works as advertised and the organisation has to trust the product is sufficiently checked to hold no nasty surprises.
    Building that trust is key to a successful testing engagement.
    So I notice I spend more time building relations and trust, sometimes to the extent that I spend less time actually testing.
    I also notice that when there is not sufficient attention to building trust the testing can be done brilliantly – but the results are still not really accepted by the organisation.
    Do you recognise this and how do you go about building trust?

@jesper-lindholt-ottosen

Absolutely – many testing testing contexts are much more about trust and confidence. Testing can be to the letter and yet still fair to satisfy the customer. I recently had a project that was much more about the ability to be able to test, that the test results.

One angle is on clear expectations and always building trust (an ABC motto of mine). Frequently I had to refer to the contract, and to written agreements. But as you mention the test management is much more about managing expectations and people. A test coach angle perhaps  https://jlottosen.wordpress.com/2016/10/16/shift-coach/

A few times I have experienced one “tone” in writing and one tone in person. Perhaps one solution in some contexts are to call them out on it, .. gently. Alternatively escalate.. not that management eskalation in itself is a good tool.

@jesper-lindholt-ottosen

@michaelbolton reminded me:

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.