Sunday Survey – Sharing the Results

Home Forums Everyday Testing – Careers, Learning and more Sunday Survey – Sharing the Results

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

As you may know we host a weekly Sunday Survey on TEST Huddle for our members.

The survey asks questions about all aspects of software testing and is designed to help us make the community a better place for software testers.

We thought we might share the results with you.

It might lead to an interesting discussion on topics of software testing that you might not have thought you much about before.

So feel free to discuss all the topics in question and let me know what you think. If you have suggestions for questions that could be asked, please feel free to suggest them here too.

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

One of the questions from our May survey was “What type of software events do you most commonly attend?”

and the result was:

What did you think of the result?

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

Another question from the May survey with some interesting results was:

“How do you usually find out about testing events (e.g. Meet-ups, Conferences)”

and the resulYts:

So Facebook is the most common way to find out about events, Do you find that? I was surprised about that result. I thought it would mostly be work colleagues.

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

Here’s an interesting question from the June survey.

How often do you have a testing problem?

Testers report running into testing problems at least once a day. Would you say the same for you?

Don’t forget you can take part in the latest Sunday survey here

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

The recent Sunday Survey has some interesting results that I thought worth sharing.

Testers were asked about the test process that they preferred. It makes for some interesting reading.

test-process-sunday-survey

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

The October Sunday Survey looked at Testing events and asked you what your attitude was to them.

sunday-survey-events

The results suggest that testers attend a lot of testing events each year with most averaging about one testing event a month.

What do you think of the result? Do you think it reflects you? Would you be one of those that attends more than 20 events a year?

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

Some interesting results from the most recent Sunday Survey. In the February survey we asked two questions; What is your favourite thing about testing and what is your least favourite?

There are some interesting results. Not surprisingly not many people like writing test cases.

Favourite Part of Testing

Least Favourite Part of Testing

What do you think of the results? Is there anything you would add to either list?

Jari
    Participant
    @jarilaakso

Interesting results!

I wonder if “finding a bug” is the favorite part of testing for many people, because that’s typically when the tester can be all “Look, here, I found this! I am worth my salary!” I know I used to feel that way. Since then, I’ve shifted to thinking about testing more in terms of information discovery and I get a similar feeling when I solve pretty much any tricky problem at work. I don’t get particularly happy anymore about finding bugs, except in special cases.

The least favorite part doesn’t surprise me. I liked writing some scripts that assisted with testing, but I enjoyed more the creative process of coming with the ideas rather than storing them on a written form. Making friends with programmers decreased a lot my needs to document some of my ideas.

Release day doesn’t surprise me either, but it’s a shame. I’d say that typically the people who dislike release days are the ones working for outdated or incompetent management. (I have a very broad use of the word “typically” here, since I actually don’t have a sample size to back that claim in any way. Let’s say it’s my strong gut feeling.)

I think I answered “something else” for both questions, which makes me wonder what other people answered. Especially for the least favorite question, it seems there could be diverse things listed!

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

Good to get your feedback @jarilaakso I think you are right about a lot of things you said. I had not thought about the idea that release day might only be a bad experience for those who are working for teams not working at their best or in a process that doesn’t fit the team.

I will share some of the something else answers too to give everyone an idea of the results.

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

Some interesting results from the latest survey:

Sunday Survey April 2017 Q1

The majority of those responding think that automation testing will be in the minority in five years time.

Another interesting result. 66% of respondents state that between 26% to 40% of their software development is testing. How does this compare for you?

April 2017 Q3

Tassawer
    Participant
    @tassaweramin

Interesting survey results.

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

From the June survey:

We asked members about adopting new testing methodology and how it happened.

Sunday Survey Team Adopted new methodology

As expected Management alone accounted for the single largest percentage for why a new methodology was adopted but it is interesting to note that team members have had a big say in adopting new processes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.