• Author
    @gohar

1. Which has a better career, Selenium with Python or Selenium with Java?
    2. Which is widely used and why?
    3. Which is powerful?

@abir11khan

@gohar, I am not a Selenium expert, but If you want to start with selenium you can start with a language that you think you can have more help from your surroundings like with a language that your development team uses.

Learning a programming language is not a very short term process, you have to have good help and patience.

@ronan

@alexsiminiuc might be able to answer this for you. He writing the Selenium series on the Huddle currently.

@gohar

Thank you @ronan 🙂 I will contact with him 🙂

@kasper

Career wise I would go with Java.
    Java is more used in commercial applications than Python and so you can integrate better with development.

Which is more widely used is more difficult to answer. My guess will be Java for the reasons stated above, but Python is much easier to learn and understand for non programmers.

They are both powerful (as is C# for that matter). The functionality of Selenium does not change with the programming language.
    The programming language is used to code test functions for example in a Cucumber – Selenium – Java/C#/Python stack.
    So, if I want to test a login field I will use code to get the field from the Selenium Web driver and perform some actions on it.
    I will then use the Web Driver to collect the results and again code will determine if the results are conform expectations.

@eviltester

1. Which has a better career, Selenium with Python or Selenium with Java?

The better career would have you learn a programming language well, and independently of Selenium. Because you are going to want to write code to a high standard and create good abstraction layers. You will develop that skill by learning a programming language well and learning design skills.

You might be looking for ‘which will get me a job fastest’? And for that you could see answer to question 2 below.

I know people using WebDriver with Java, .Net and Ruby but not many using Python.

If you are learning this for you own development then choose the programming language you find easier to learn.

I personally think that Java and .Net are easier for beginners to learn than Python since the IDE will help and the syntax error checking is done at compile time rather than runtime.

It also depends who you have access to, when you are learning. Perhaps you could use the programming language that you or the developers use at work so you can get help from the people you work with. And what books/online training you have access to.

I think there is probably more information available about using Selenium with Java, than with Python. But again – have a look at the material out there and see which you understand most readily then follow that path..

2. Which is widely used and why?

Both are widely used.

Do you have a target employer in mind? Or a target industry? If so, use the one which the company or industry sector seem to use most.

Thing is, when you learn to code well, you can pick up other languages fairly quickly.

3. Which is powerful?

Both are powerful. Both work well with Selenium. Both have a very extensive library eco-system so you can do pretty much anything you want in either.

@aleksandra-kornecka

hey @gohar! The @eviltester got the points in my opinion and I would add: IT DEPENDS 😀 it depends on what project you work on. If you already code then it is not so important what do you choose until there are some project-specific criteria.
    It’s hard to give just the advice: go Python, or go Java.
    Python is high-level language so looks easier, but in fact you need better understand what is going on “under the carpet” there. Java seems to be still more widely used. But Selenium works good with both 🙂

I would suggest another thing: maybe you need something abother than Selenium 😮 ?

Len
    @lennart-tange

There are tons of statistics you can base your choice on, career wise, e.g. http://stackoverflow.com/research/developer-survey-2016

Java looks like the ‘safe’ choice.
    It’s not entirely binary, I personally think, because its high-level, Python allows cleaner code, but also easier to make mistakes in…
    I’m therefore convinced, by learning python you’d eventually become a better java programmer.

I’d also base my choice on the rest of my team.
    I’ve set up Selenium with Ruby, Java and JavaScript for different teams. The team’s background always played a key role in making the choice.
    If you have people who are already familiar with one language and aren’t easily picking up a new one, go for that language.
    Careerwise, this is good to consider. If others are able to pick your work, you can grow into other positions.

@gracylayla

What is Python?

Python is a high-level object-oriented scripting language. It is designed in a user-friendly manner. Python uses simple English keywords, which is easy to interpret. It has less syntax complications than any other programming languages.

What is Selenium?

Selenium is a robust set of tools that supports rapid development of test automation for web-based applications. Selenium provides a rich set of testing functions specifically geared to the needs of testing of a web application. These operations are highly flexible, allowing many options for locating UI elements and comparing expected test results against actual application behaviour.

Why Selenium with Python?

It is easy for coding and also easily readable

Runs faster while comparing other programming

Also provides Dynamic Typing Nature

More number of programmers using Python

What is selenium with python?

Selenium is an open-source web-based automation tool. Python language is used with Selenium for testing. It has far less verbose and easy to use than any other programming language. The Python APIs empower you to connect with the browser through Selenium.

Selenium Python bindings provides a simple API to write functional/acceptance tests using Selenium WebDriver. Through Selenium Python API you can access all functionalities of Selenium WebDriver in an intuitive way.

Selenium Python bindings provide a convenient API to access Selenium WebDrivers like Firefox, Ie, Chrome, Remote etc.

Python language is used with Selenium for testing. It has far less verbose and easy to use than any other programming language. The Python APIs empower you to connect with the browser through Selenium. Selenium can send the standard Python commands to different browsers, despite variation in their browser’s design.

[commercial link removed /Mod:jo]

@riyawilliams

Python is an object oriented programming language, it runs on Linux, Windows and Mac which turns it into cross-platform. In addition, Python is a scripting language. Hence, both compilation and linkage are not required. Python was built with an emphasis on readability and simplicity, it is perfectly scalable and in terms of performance, Python can grant high performance.
    The popularity of Python derives from its shallow learning curve, its readability and the enormous supply of libraries. Among others things, Python can handle compressed documents, mathematical functions, regular expressions, data communications, graphic interfaces, working with OS services and more.
    Without a doubt, Selenium project couldn’t overlook this language when deciding to support different programming languages for Selenium WebDriver. Notwithstanding, it’s not popular as JavaScript or Java under Selenium’s domain, however it’s well known among test automation and API developers. Riya

[Commercial link removed by moderator]

@pranali

Selenium with Java:
    As we all know Java is the most powerful and oldest programming language which is used by more than 3 billion!!You no need to worry about the Future of Java as well, Since there are more number of users, strong community where you always can enhance your career using Java.
    Why Selenium with Java?

Large number of users for Selenium with Java

Stronger community options

Selenium is also developed by Java

More than 80% of experts prefer to work Selenium with Java

Learning Java and its set of libraries will help you in many ways

Conclusion:
    It is clear that using Selenium with Java is preferred by more than 80% of professionals but it also doesn’t mean that learning Selenium with Python is not useful.Selecting the programming languages depends on where you going to use.

[commercial content removed /mod]

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.