Let’s Talk About…Being An independent Tester

Home Forums Meet-Ups/Events/Test Days Let’s Talk About…Being An independent Tester

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

This month’s Let’s Talk About Hangout will feature two great minds on the the topic of working as a self-employed tester.

On February 25th, I will be joined by Duncan Nesbit and Simon Schrijver to discuss what it is like working for yourself as a software tester.

We will discuss all the practical aspects of setting up, getting clients, what does an avaerage day look like, the advantages and disadvantages and more.

So if you are interested in this topic you can sign-up here

If are thinking of becoming an independent tester and have some questions before the Hangout starts, feel free to submit them here.

Thomas
    Participant
    @ponnet

I’d be interested in the networking aspect of it – how do you secure jobs – use a network of friends and colleagues, any internet sites, anything else? When to start looking on a 3, 6, 12 month contract.

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

@ponnet That’s one question that I will definitely put to the guys.

The Hangout will be streamed on Thursday live here or on Youtube.

Paul French
    Participant
    @paul-french

Not been in one of these things before – how do they work?

Paul French
    Participant
    @paul-french

Is this essentially talking about being a contractor or is an ‘independent ‘ or self employed tester something a little bit different?

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

@paul-french These events are more like round-table discussion rather than a regular webinar. The Hangout has a loose format but what makes it a bit different is that anyone can jump in and take part and ask questions.

If you have a question already, you can ask it here or join us live at 12 to ask yourself.

There is more info here along with the stream of the session.

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

Is this essentially talking about being a contractor or is an ‘independent ‘ or self employed tester something a little bit different?

It is that essentially

Paul French
    Participant
    @paul-french

I’m watching the stream at the moment – is that the proper way to view these things? I was half expecting usual “webinar” type format where you could chat and submit questions over text etc? First one I’ve attended so just making sure I’m doing it right 😉

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

@paul-french There is no right way and no wrong way. So you’re doing it right! You can submit questions here if that is easier for you,

Paul French
    Participant
    @paul-french

OK, if I rephrase my question – is there a method of viewing with built in interactive chat boxes etc? Too late now but I’ll know for next time 😉

Suraj
    Participant
    @suraj2016

An independent tester can find out more and different defects than a tester working within a programming team. If you have proper knowledge of coding & testing so it will be a nice career option.

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

OK, if I rephrase my question – is there a method of viewing with built in interactive chat boxes etc? Too late now but I’ll know for next time ?

Afraid not, the main chat area is here. We are trialling different approaches with each Hangout to encourage the most interaction. We’ll get there. If you have any questions or thoughts @simonsaysnomore and @duncnisbet will check in and out of here to answer anything that you might have.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.