Commercial vs. In-house Software

Home Forums Software Testing Discussions Commercial vs. In-house Software

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tassawer
    Participant
    @tassaweramin

Are there any any QA differences between developing an application/program for commercial use (customers = revenue) and developing application/program for internal use (in-House) ?

Is there less or a different focus on testing if an application is developed only for internal use and there is nobody to buy the product ?

Jesper
    Participant
    @jesper-lindholt-ottosen

Absolutely. There are all kinds of differences depending on the context.

• Internal business applications tend to have a focus on getting things done. Many enterprises still runs SAP and dynamics AX etc, while it’s a horribel interface it get’s things done. And the users rarely have any choice in tools.
    • Business 2 consumer, in contrast to business-to-business, have a greater challenge that people can user competitor – or plainly stop using your service.

On test coverage this is can be seen where an internal web app is only tested on “internally approved” browsers, a cunsomer facing wep solution have to support a range of browsers.

cruz
    Participant
    @cruzpaul

Commercial vs house software makes a big difference because the house is made it own and personal investment commercial analysis the market and some other stuff.

[modified by mod/jo]

Roman
    Participant
    @rpwheeler

Are there any any QA differences between developing an application/program for commercial use (customers = revenue) and developing application/program for internal use (in-House) ?

Sure 🙂

• Some in-house do not have any good testing at all.
    • They may lack usability very bad: those who are forced to use them have no choice.
    • When I develop some tool for internal use myself, I care mostly that it works. I don’t go any formal testing process. “<span class=”ms-translatable”>have a focus on getting things done”</span>, as Jesper said.
    Darwin
    Participant
    @darwin

In general, there is a difference in QA. Some startup organizations don’t even prefer to spend their resources for QA and some would keep QA only when their customers who are using their product started to face some issues, also It mostly depends on the organization itself and its setup.
    I know of some organizations with development focussed don’t have QA for their in-house product, in the beginning, later they had it and some organizations with QA focussed they do the same job whether it is their in-house product or external ones.

rosa
    Participant
    @rosabella

Compared to in-house software, commercial software makes a big difference because the home is made by itself. I think commercial software has more advantages, you can see more here gmail login

[commercial link/modified by mod]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.