What is the difference between writing test cases for different areas in testing?

Home Forums Software Testing Discussions What is the difference between writing test cases for different areas in testing?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

A bit of a technical question this but test cases, I know can form a part of the testing process. However I’m curious as to what is the difference between test cases when writing them for TDD for example, compared to other instances when you are writing test cases. Do all test cases have the same template or do things change radically across different areas of testing?

Shamiel Speelman
    Participant
    @shamiel-speelman

Hey .. 🙂 In an ideal world test cases templates should not change drastically, however they do morph as time passes and requirements unfold.

As far as I am concerned, test cases for TDD has a unique requirement in that it is developer focused (Unit tests) and requires a substantial amount of Coding know-how in order for them to add any real value. They are in my opinion limiting in the sense that they do not expose all the possible pitfalls that may exist. They assist in a more run .. fail… fix…re-run…fail.. fix scenario until “perfection” is achieved. The does limit the number of inherent defects dramatically. The upside to TC in TDD, in an Agile environment is the fact that it allows for rather complex test case writing and caters for the ever changing scope of delivery and is continuously interrogating the requirements allowing for a more robust product / application / software delivery at the end of the day. This can get tricky to maintain.. as it will eventually form part of the integration test suite as the application evolves.

Test cases in general can range from 1 liners… to over complicated , multi-tiered approaches which all have the same end goal in mind…. a quality application / software or product delivery that meets the clients / stakeholders requirements .. NOT EXPECTATION.

In my experience, I have found that the only time we meet the client / stakeholders expectation.. is when following an Agile approach to Development, Quality Assurance and overall project management, which necessitates the involvement of Product Owners who are able to steer their expectation as the project unfolds. This is in no way saying that scope creep is overlooked .. That in itself is another topic for another day. User Stories also appear to work quite well as test cases as they clearly outline the expected test scenarios that need to pass in order to get sign-off.

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

@shamiel-speelman Thanks for the reply. You raise a few interesting points. I am curious, how have user stories developed in comparison to test cases?

They seem to be getting more popular but I presume they could never be a replacement for test cases?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.