Testing DevOps

Home Forums Software Testing Discussions Testing DevOps

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

On wednesday this week I, and some of the test team here at NewVoiceMedia, will be doing a webinar called “Testing in DevOps”.

It would be great if you could join in the discussion during the webinar.

Please also ask any questions or give us topic ideas that you would like covered in the webinar beforehand on this thread.

Thanks
    Rob

Vernon Richards
    Participant
    @testerfromleic

Greetings Rob,

Whenever I hear about Devops (and all the flavours of Continuous X that lead up to it) I like the sound of it. When it comes to the testing elements of the process, the checking elements come up alot, so I’m really hoping to hear about how the testing side of that fits into the process.

I’m really looking forward to the webinar!

Regards,

Vernon

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Vernon – we’ll hopefully cover that in the webinar.

Thanks for the question.

Rob

Richard Bradshaw
    Participant
    @friendlytester

I am hearing lots of good stuff about working in agile.

But what is DevOps?
    And how is DevOps impacting / changing the way you test.

Seem to be combining agile with devops, in “agile devops”, but what does it mean.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Rich – Did we answer that in the webinar?

Richard Bradshaw
    Participant
    @friendlytester

No.
    You gave a definition of DevOps as an answer to one of the questions at the end.
    But I was expecting to hear more about how DevOps is impacting your testing.

Env deployments, local instances, the speed of those deployments, can you do different testing now because you can deploy it all so fast etc.
    How do the “Ops” people feel now they are “more involved” if I get the point of DevOps.
    How do the testers feel working closer with them?
    Are the testers now asking for more monitoring in live, are they getting useful info from live now that “ops” may be providing it. Live analytics, live feedback. What testing does this lead to?

Kind of stuff I was expecting to hear.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Rich,

Thanks for that. We ummed and argghed about getting down to that level but most of the questions coming in before the Webinar were at a much higher level than that – more about agile.

Happy to answer some of that stuff here and continue the conversation:

Env deployments, local instances, the speed of those deployments, can you do different testing now because you can deploy it all so fast etc.
    – We have a pipeline that looks a little like this
    –Dev Env -> Test Env -> Pre-production -> Live
    –The deployments are reasonably quick and we’re working hard to automate more of this and speed it all up.
    –We do mostly ET now as the test are automated but after that, the speed of the deploys doesn’t really affect the testing we do.

How do the “Ops” people feel now they are “more involved” if I get the point of DevOps.
    – I think it’s overall more positive as it’s no longer a case of throw the code at Ops and crack on with the next work
    — Like we talked about at the end – we support the live release with the Operations team also. We monitor, we observe and we make sure it’s all good. This helps to trouble shoot issues quickly as developers are more likely to spot product related errors, and ops are more likely to spot environment related issues.

How do the testers feel working closer with them?
    – The team enjoy it – they talked about that a little in the webinar – it’s much more engaging being involved in the standups, having Ops engineers as part of the work flow. It also means that each of the testers is having to learn more about monitoring and deploying – Sylvia talked a little about this too.

Are the testers now asking for more monitoring in live, are they getting useful info from live now that “ops” may be providing it. Live analytics, live feedback. What testing does this lead to?
    – Yep. One of the slides talked about ET being more data informed – this is the data coming from the live and test systems through better monitoring.

The book build quality in is a good set of case studies from a number of different companies doing “DevOps” and they all work differently. We wrote a chapter on how testing has changed in that one – https://leanpub.com/buildqualityin

Sorry the webinar didn’t meet your expectations Rich – we pitched it very much based on the questions coming in before the webinar. Hope the above helps a little.

Rob..

Richard Bradshaw
    Participant
    @friendlytester

Thanks for the reply, I just enjoyed the webinar, the agile stuff aligns very closely to how I approach testing at my current role.
    I got hooked on DevOps being in the title thats all, but as you say, it went more down the agile route.

Nice format though, be great to do something like that as a team. Shows the point of agile imo.

Sapan
    Participant
    @sapan

HI Rob and all,

Unfortunately I missed it because of some other commitments. Is there recording available?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Sapan,

I do believe there will be a recording available on the Test Huddle / EuroSTAR site.

Ta.
    Rob

Sapan
    Participant
    @sapan

Thanks – looking forward to it!

Daragh
    Participant
    @daraghm

Hi Sapan,

You can see all the Way We Work webinars & eBooks Here

Daragh 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.