How much system experience is needed to create an automated regression pack?

Home Forums Software Testing Discussions How much system experience is needed to create an automated regression pack?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant
    @chrishobbs

Hi all,

How much time do you spend familiarising yourself with a piece of software before writing an automated regression pack to cover the basic checks against each build? (Or any other depth of automated testing/checking!)

Is there anything you would always recommend doing before writing your first line of code?

Tassawer
    Participant
    @tassaweramin

I would recommend that you should first get yourself familiar with the basic functionalities of that software using any of the available resources i.e. User Manual, Interface definition etc.it might be time consuming but its always worth.

Then try writing some basic Manual test for each functionality before gradually shifting them to Automated Ones,

Archana
    Participant
    @archana

Here is an article on the best practices to follow that may help. You can read it here

Chris
    Participant
    @chrishobbs

Thanks for the reply on this, I definitely agree that the more you know about the software, the better you will be able to target your automation to its needs. I was nervous I didn’t have enough experience in the software before starting a recent automated testing solution, but fortunately things seem to be going well so far!

Here is an article on the best practices to follow that may help. You can read it here

Thanks. This seems like a good set of checkpoints to go through before doing something. It’s in my bookmarks now!

Tassawer
    Participant
    @tassaweramin

@chrishobbs Nice to hear.
    Feel free to use this forum to report any quires and please do visit Resources section which contain lots of useful material.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.