EUROSTAR – DAY 3 (WEDNESDAY)

Home Forums EuroSTAR Attendee Network EuroSTAR 2014 EUROSTAR – DAY 3 (WEDNESDAY)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Kim
    Participant
    @punkmik

By now I hope we have all settled into the conference lifestyle. 🙂 Did you go out yesterday and hang with testers?

Wednesday is the first day with full of talks.
    Have you got a plan?

I am especially looking forward to:
    Kristoffer’s talk on Gamification
    Exploring more of the test lab puzzles – did you know if you take part in 5 puzzles you get a t-shirt?
    For the afternoon I cannot decide whether to see James Christie or Fran O’Hara talk! Decisions, decisions. I may try to catch them during one of the breaks to see which talk may be more suitable for me.

Are you meeting anyone new? I am enjoying putting the real faces to the twitter handles! 🙂

Martin
    Participant
    @martinp

Hi Kim,

Thanks for all your thoughts and updates. My head is bursting with ideas and exploding with information. I have a specific area of interest which I would really like to discuss with anyone who may have experience. This topic is testing of cloud based applications and services. Do you have any ideas how I can raise this? If anyone can help and would be willing to meet up and share their experiences please let me know?

Thanks
    Martin

Neil
    Participant
    @neil

I have a specific area of interest which I would really like to discuss with anyone who may have experience. This topic is testing of cloud based applications and services. Do you have any ideas how I can raise this?

Hi Martin,

Have you visited the Community Hub yet? It’s slightly left-of-centre as you enter the Expo Hall. There’s a large wall of chalkboards for scribbling topics/questions. I suggest getting there early, writing your question and what time you’d like to chat – ideally scheduled for one of the breaks, to maximize your potential attendees.

Personally I think I will be spending a lot of time on Wednesday afternoon in the Community Hub and Test Lab, especially now I know there are t-shirts on offer! The Community Hub is a really good place to relax and refocus after a busy day’s conferring (and, in my case, some hefty blogging!)

Kim
    Participant
    @punkmik

Great start to the day catching up with people about yesterday and seeing Isabel Evans talk about improvements to the release lifecycle at all stages.
    Nice to also hear others having problems with teams adapting to change.

Kim
    Participant
    @punkmik

I would really like to discuss with anyone who may have experience. This topic is testing of cloud based applications and services. Do you have any ideas how I can raise this?
    Morning Martin!

I am in the middle of learning about this, but do not have answers yet. i started by also speaking to the different booths in the expo and asking them what they could do to help. Maybe explain your pain points?

Also the community hub is a great place to hang out and chat to people. I say grab anyone and just ask them about the topic because chances are if they do not know, they know someone with experience and can introduce you! Everyone is really friendly. 🙂

Kim
    Participant
    @punkmik

Where do we get information about a product to do testing? Exploring sources of information with Michael Bolton.
    Also need to be aware of implicit tacit knowledge. Information that is never written, down or expressed in any way.
    3 types of tacit knowledge:
    relational tacit knowledge is in people’s heads – assumed too obvious – ie the address of the school of your kids but you know where it is and how to get there
    submatic tacit knowledge – embedded in the human body – juggling or touch type – we can write it down but it needs practice
    collective tacit knowledge – embedded in society

Martin
    Participant
    @martinp

Thanks Kim..I found a couple of useful sources today. I will come over to the hub to meet in the next break.

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

Thanks Kim..I found a couple of useful sources today. I will come over to the hub to meet in the next break.

@martin

I will be there too! Looking forward to meeting everyone at the next break!

Kim
    Participant
    @punkmik

Did you find people to talk to? Any good outcomes?

I just did pair testing for the first time! fun experience and really valuable! Also good to take a break from the talks and challenge the mind. we all learn differently so the test lab offers a different perspective on learning. 🙂

Martin
    Participant
    @martinp

Oops sorry Kim. I got sidetracked again. I will look out for you again later.

Kim
    Participant
    @punkmik

Just had a proper lightbulb moment at the security talk from Declan! I understood sql injection! cannot wait to try it when I get back!

Any new skills you have picked up today you want to try at your workplace?

Martin
    Participant
    @martinp

Hi Kim,

What a fantastic day today and a brilliant evening to finish. It has been a privilege to meet so many amazing and inspirational people.

I particularly enjoyed the talk by Mary this morning on the availability heuristic.. Some fantastically creative and innovative ways of motivating your team and getting them to review and improve on their process and think about the value that they are adding.

I also really enjoyed Alberts talk on operations.I thought that it showed a different perspective from That adopted by most test engineers. This is an area that I definitely intend to follow up on when I return to the office. Ultimately it would be good to add automated tests to check the logs are error-free.

I have taken key points from every session that I have attended over the week.

I will write them up at the end of the week.

Kim you may also like to get a copy of how to break software security by James Whitaker for on security and injection attacks.

Good night! Martin

Kim
    Participant
    @punkmik

Thanks Martin!
    I will add the book to my list! I am glad to hear you found so much value in the talks!

I would love to see your notes so please come back and share them or a link to them. 🙂

Martin
    Participant
    @martinp

Morning Kim and everyone.

What a great evening at the awards. I sat on a superbly fun and diverse table. From the old to the new let’s say, generations of testers.

Anyway all packed, checked out and ready for the final day.

I wish every day was like Eurostar. Well maybe the odd day slightly less hectic.

Hosever one big point I will take this week is that testing can be really fun and innovative. I guess I had lost sight of that a bit recently as it’s been a bit of a hard slog in the office. Anyway I feel determined and ready to innovate.

Kim I would really like to say hello to you before we leave. Would it be possible to meet up next break?
    Martin

Kim
    Participant
    @punkmik

Yes sure! Let’s meet at the Hub! I will be there just after 10:30 🙂

I am jealous you go to go to the gala dinner! Sounded like a fun eve!
    That is why I love conferences. it can make you motivated again and remind you why you have chosen to be in the industry!

Martin
    Participant
    @martinp

See you there Kim and anyone else!

I am currently in agile traps by Janet. She is providing my ammunition for when I go back to the office, superb.

Ronan Healy
    Keymaster
    @ronan

@martin and @kim I will be down there too. I’m sure there will be a few more TEST Huddlers milling around.

Kim
    Participant
    @punkmik

Thanks Ronan! I finally got to say Hi to the programme chair Paul as well as the award winner Derk yesterday and Martin too of course! 😀

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘EuroSTAR 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.