[eBook] Roles and Competencies
This eBook contains chapter 3, ‘Roles and Competencies’, from the testing book ‘More Agile Testing: Learning Journeys for the Whole Team’. Here the authors describe how teams that succeed in creating high-quality software include people in a variety of roles and with a wide range of competencies. You need to form ways to get the ones you need on your team.
- Teams whose members have a variety of T-shaped skill sets succeed with testing in fast-changing environments.
- All team members need broad agile testing basics, allowing them to collaborate well for improving quality, but each one may contribute a different deep, specialized skill.
- Testers communicate better with programmers, business analysts, product owners, managers, DevOps practitioners, and other team members when they know the basic concepts of those other specialties.
- Hire team members who are passionate about quality and learning, whose T-shaped skills complement each other’s.
- Set realistic expectations for new hires, and build in visibility and feedback.